General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P38 Lamps Flickering

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 11:00 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P38 Lamps Flickering

hey guys,

I have a 97 4.0 SE and I've got a wierd thing going on with the lighting, and electrical system in general. The headlamps, interior lamps, displays, even cooling/heating system fan all "flicker." The climate fan obviously can't flicker; rather it "dolphins" or loops up and down. Engine power seems to be unnaffected, or is minimal. I think I've narrowed it down to a bad voltage regulator, but I wanted to get an opinion from other seasoned pros before I dive into that. The frequency of the flickering generally varies with the RPM of the engine, too. Thanks for your help!

Brett

Old 01-29-2006, 01:18 AM
Mudding
Default RE: P38 Lamps Flickering

This happened when I got my Alternator changed, there was a loose wire on the Alternator. Check all your connections, including the ground on the battery.

Old 01-31-2006, 04:52 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: P38 Lamps Flickering

I think that your suggestion might have worked. I tightened down the alternator and other assorted wires (ie. battery, fuse box). While in the fuse box, I noticed that several of the larger fuses that circumference the fuse box showed signs of burns. I pulled one out, and the plastic board that the fuses plug into was burned, cracked, and brittle. I lightly cleaned the area, uncluding one other fuse that was the same way, and replaced one of the burned fuses with a newer fuse. The flickering seems to have stopped for now, and the Climate Control System works amazing, too. Thanks for the help!

Brett