General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P38 radio shriek....help

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P38 radio shriek....help

The radio on my '01 HSE started to squeal loudly(sounded kind of like the tone you get for a bad weather report). I tired to turn it down and change the station and that had no effect, so I pulled over and shut off the engine and it still continued. Needless to say it was a long ride home, and I'm surprised I didn't have dogs chasing me lol. The squeal seemed to mostly be coming from the right side door tweeter. The nav was working fine, and the head unit functions were all working, just no sound but the loud squeal. I had to unhook the battery to get it to stop, and everything went back to normal after I hooked it back up. The next day instead of squeal, I got static from the right rear speaker that won't turn off when the ignition is turned off. This time when I unhooked and re-hooked the battery there was no sound at all. The head unit functions fine, as well as the NAV(except for no sound). I've read several posts on a couple of forums with the exact same issue, but unfortunatly not a single one reported back with an outcome or fix I'm thinking the DSP amp has taken a poo, but was hoping someone could shed a little more light before I plunk down cash for another one. Thanks!!

P.S. I'll post up whatever I had to do to fix to hopefully help the next poor soul

Old 01-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It sound like the amp to me as well.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Drifting

I just fixed my radio issue and it ended up being the head unit. My head unit appeared to be working fine but I had no sound. Swapped the unit out with one I bought on Ebay and problem solved. I know the head units are expensives but ifyou can find someone who will let you swapp it will save you a ton of time if its the problem. I also thought my issue was an amp problem. I checked the two tuner amps in the cargo area and even removved the subwoofer and located the amp on the rear quarter panel. Would have saved me a boat load of time if I just swapped the head unit. Good luck

Old 01-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Drifting

Most every one I talked to was pretty confident that even if the head unit failed the NAV should still have audio, so I have an amp coming. I guess I'll find out after I get it installed. If that doesn't cure it I'll go after the headunit. Thanks

Old 01-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Drifting

I finally got a new DSP amp and that cured my problem. Roverville told me to cut some vent holes and leave the insulation out to help keep the moisture down