General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchase Advice: Range Rover

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 01:13 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchase Advice: Range Rover

I have to first off, apologize for my ignorance of Range Rover. I knew Range Rover was expensive and was built for off road, but did not really know how great of a off road vehicle it was until I recently spoke to an Range Rover enthusiast for about 30 min, he gave me quite a bit of overall information about Land Rover and talked about how great these vehicles are... I honestly have owned and only considered Toyota, Honda, and Lexus vehicles, I would like to consider a Range Rover, but do not know much about the vehicle. Which year, model, options, etc I should consider?

I am planning to purchase a used Range Rover, budget is about $20-$25k. I am leaning towards the Range Rover HSE...

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Range Rover Ownership

If you've not owned one and know nothing about them and have only experienced those brands, the first thing is "lower your expectations"...

A Range Rover isn't built to the same standards of fit and finish, for a start. The high cost comes from lower volumes and better materials - not better build. You will have problems - it goes with the territory. Yes, they kick butt off road, they are different and carry a "special" name. But they can be very frustrating. I've owned 7 Land Rovers - brand new, used and a couple of old 'uns. Each has had issues. Dealers vary with their "customer service", partly because they often have to take it on the chin from customers who know nothing about them, but the name, when they experience problems. For example, my Freelander had 2 heater cores in 18 months - same issue, but 1 cost me $600, even though it was a known failure and LR didn't purge the bad ones out of their system.

Are you going to drive off road? Most people hardly get the tires dirty. Unless you can live with ownership and its problems I'd steer clear of them (unless it's a second car) or buy a really old one (a good P38 can be found for $7,000).

Before anyone dismisses my comments - I've been around Land Rovers in the UK, here in the USA and even sold them for a living...

Last edited by 2ndRR; 07-12-2014 at 06:03 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

True what 2ndRR says. Unless you are mechanically inclined, stay clear unless you like spending money. Rovers can be like boats a hole for money to fall in. But, there are Rovers that last forever if cared for properly. A Rover has a maintenance schedule that needs to be followed religiously, not like Toyos, etc., that are proudly driven with check engine lights on to see how far and long they last. Go with someone and let them show you how they operate on road and off, then decide if that is your cup of tea. Start maybe with a well cared for older model as 2ndRR suggested for a feel then move up. I have owned Rovers for 15 years with a Disco 1 for 14 yrs. Have owned Classic, P38, and now an LR4. Wife drove Disco for 14 yrs., with only a fuel pump issue.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:55 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the inputs, I heard that the issues with range rovers was on models prior to 2006. The newer 2007+models are more reliable?? Or is it just too new to tell what's going to happen. Based on these feedback. I'm probably going not purchase a range rover. I'm not so great with working on vehicles and check engine light really bothers me : )...

Old 08-09-2014, 04:55 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

IMO and the wealth of evidence they are without any doubt the 'best 4x4 by far'. Nothing but nothing in standard production 4x4's can touch them offroad. BUT, they are expensive 'bed partners' to keep and run and can cost you a kings ransom to repair. The diesel engine is by far the best engine but out of the question in the US. I run a 2008/9 RRS 3.0 TDV6, a 2003 D2 TD5 and a Pajero 2.8TD and the RRS is the best long distance tarmac cruiser, the D2 an excellent allround workhorse/tow truck and the Paj for offroad laning and capers but the most useful in bad weather and offroad is the D2. £ for £ and mile for mile I prefer the D2 for versatility, cost and performance but it's not anywhere near as comfortable as the RRS on tarmac. The old Paj takes some beating for a nearing 20 year truck.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:09 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by wttl14
Thanks for the inputs, I heard that the issues with range rovers was on models prior to 2006. The newer 2007+models are more reliable?? Or is it just too new to tell what's going to happen. Based on these feedback. I'm probably going not purchase a range rover. I'm not so great with working on vehicles and check engine light really bothers me : )...
In fact the best RR was the Classic circa 1980's+ 3.5 on SU carbs (sleeved down Buick motor) and later the 3.9. Then they screwed them up completely with electronics and made them complicated and expensive to repair.

I strongly believe 'when in Rome etc' and if I lived in the US I wouldn't run an LR but maybe a Wrangler, Ford etc. Unfortunately in France there ain't nothing worth buying made here - it's all rubbish. The only option is really UK or German built vehicles.