New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Advice on Discovery purchase....please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 05:32 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Discovery purchase....please.

OK, I'm about to purchase another SUV and have recently been seriously looking into the LR Discovery. My previous SUV was a '97 Toyota 4runner LTD and I loved it. In fact, I'd probably still be driving it had I not totalled it. Regardless of that, it's time to move on. I never had a problem with my 4runner, it went everywhere I wanted to go, never got stuck, and never broke down.

As far as why I'm here....I've never driven a LR but have always been drawn to their looks and their off-road abilities. What has me worried about buying one is all of the hype about what a nightmare owning one can turn into with all of the repair issues. I once bought a BMW and the next thing I knew I was neck deep in repair bills and vowed I would never own another european vehicle again.

Is there anyone out there that has not had any issues with their purchase of a used Discovery? I'm mechanically inclined and don't mind doing minor stuff, but I'm not into the backyard mechanic grease-monkey thing anymore, that went when I sold my '72 Chevy pickup years ago. I'm also not into debilitating repair bills, that got old real fast with my BMW.

Would anyone be willing to take a minute to convince me not to buy another 4runner? Or better yet, to buy a Discovery?

Thanks much..............Eric

Old 02-28-2006, 11:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Advice on Discovery purchase....please.

Hello newguy Eric

To start off all car manufacturers have the defaults and the land rover is no exception. However the hype about Land rovers being nightmares comes from two things either the person having it didn't take care of it or didn't take out the time to have it inspected to see future problems. The problems with Discoveries are little things like electrics small sensors things that just come with the discovery. I have a 1996 Discovery se and my mother has a 2000 Discovery series2 They have been the most realible vehicles we have had and provide great safety and luxury and toughness not found in many 4x4's today. To give you a peace of mind the disco1 like the one I have is a very easy truck to fix and by you having mechanical skills you won't spend much money. To stay on top of discoveries is to keep them moist like 3-4K oil change clean air filters,lube jobs,claen trans fluids The basics to keeping the disco happy. For one thing The Engines,Trans,Frame,axles of the discovery is extremely strong and will last a great deal of time before needing to be replaced if cared for. Coming from the 4 runner you will find the discovery superior except price of parts and that depends on where you get them. The discovery doens't get the best mileage as it wasn't meant to but can get moderate mileage of about 13 mpg town and 17-18 mpg highway and that again is how disco is maintained. The disco you buy have it inspected by a rover inspector and if it looks good go for it just remember not to put off stuff mentioned above and your rover will last a very long time plus the disco is to me alot tougher the 4runner just a little more expensive but she won't cost much if she's happy. oh and go wheeling a few times to truly see discovery come alive she will scare you with her killer stock skills off road.