General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 10:17 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Radio Issues

I have a 98 RR 4.6. A hand me down from my parents. After Market radio worked but was stolen. I replaced it with another aftermarket radio since they left the old plug there from the old radio. so the wiring was all good. I plugged it in and the power came on and all the buttons work but I have no sound. so to make sure it wasn't the radio I hooked it up to wife's car and it worked just fine. I checked fuses 1,8,15( I think those were it) and they all were good. anyone have a solution to this problem. I downloaded Rave but I couldn't figure it out. I removed the door speakers to make sure they work and its all good just cant figure out why the RR doesn't want to cooperate. Does anyone know the solution to this problem. I really dont feel like running new wires and just bypass the original system.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Find a pal who is an electrical geek and he/she (yes, there are engineerettes) and they will show you how to read a schematic. It is like one of grandpa's old road maps, lines connect dots, rather than GPS. There is also a basic description of how to read the schematic in the first few pages. Rover likes to identify wire colors by letters, so black = B, Blue = "U", etc. They have the code list in the RAVE as well. Could be there is an amp under the seat, etc. Rover offered several audio models in some years.

Diagnostics of wires chopped up by others and left undocumented is a daily adventure at most factories around the US. Pray for as-builts!

Old 02-03-2014, 06:53 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Find a pal who is an electrical geek and he/she (yes, there are engineerettes) and they will show you how to read a schematic. It is like one of grandpa's old road maps, lines connect dots, rather than GPS. There is also a basic description of how to read the schematic in the first few pages. Rover likes to identify wire colors by letters, so black = B, Blue = "U", etc. They have the code list in the RAVE as well. Could be there is an amp under the seat, etc. Rover offered several audio models in some years.

Diagnostics of wires chopped up by others and left undocumented is a daily adventure at most factories around the US. Pray for as-builts!
I figured it out after a couple minutes of real study. I was just confused by the High Low Mid. I didn't know it had this many speakers and tweeters in it. Now I'm just going to wait for a more sunny and warm day to trouble shoot this issue thanks Savanah Buzz

Old 02-03-2014, 09:46 PM
6th Gear
Default figured it out

theres 2 Gray/black wires that control the AMPs and those need to be connected to the remote(blue wire on aftermarket radio). I used these links to figure it out
and you guys might also find it usefull

Radio Wiring Diagram

1995-1997 Land Rover Range Rover with 11 Speakers Wiring Information

and if you really cant figure it out than go to the savanah buzz link to the Rave file. page 135 i think further along it tells you how to trouble shoot incase you have issues good luck guys and hope this helps you guys out.