General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range Rover Classic, won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 08:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Range Rover Classic, won't start

Hey everyone, I posted about a misfire about a month ago. I diagnosed a failed fuel pump and replaced the whole in-tank unit along with a new filter. Before fitting the new filter the truck cranked back up and ran, although misfiring badly at idle, but running smoothly at higher RPM.

I have since replaced the fuel filter, and it has sat a few weeks outside. Now it will only turn over, but not fire or crank at all. It smelled flooded so I pulled all the plugs to dry them off and let some fuel evaporate. After replacing the plugs I tried to start it again with no success. The only warning light displayed is an exclamation mark with two circles on either side of it? I have read that it may be the EFI warning light?

It seems almost likely to me that this truck may have internal issues, although I have done nothing to substantiate that thought. I did pull the MAF and attempted to clean it but could have damaged it in the process, it did run since I did that though.

Has anyone experienced similar problems or recommend anything to try? It is definitely getting fuel, and all spark plugs are firing strong. I have not checked the distributor but the normal wear parts look fine.

I'm guessing it could also likely be an electronic issue, this seems the most likely other than some sort of rotating assembly failure/ loss of compression. Any input is appreciated!

Andrew