General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range Rover as a Family Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range Rover as a Family Vehicle

My wife and I have 2 young children. We used to have a toyota sequioa and traded it for the Range Rover. I find that the Rover is a much nicer ride, much more luxurious, but it has less room than the toyota. We knewthatbefore we bought it. It so far, has not been an issue, as we used to do more traveling with the kids, which does require amplestorage space.My only wish is that the rear storage area was just a little deeper.

Any thoughts from any family folks out there with a Range Rover?

Old 12-18-2008, 09:29 AM
Mudding
Default RE: Range Rover as a Family Vehicle

We've owned since '87 some 10 Rovers starting with the classic and now still having 4. We've managed to raise 3 kids with them - oldest now 2nd year in college and 2 on final stages of high school. For us they've worked well as transport when they were young but like most we've always had other cars too. Over the years a couple suburbans and tahoes and now an excursion were necessary for family trips especially if the kids want to bring friends. Plus - mine are all 3 girls and there's no way you're getting all of their **** in the back of a rover - we've even put boxes on the top. All in all, despite the advertising - I don't think these were really built or intended for family haulers - and frankly I always found them too nice inside to be cleaning french fries and cheerios from under the seats. Our disco did have the jump seats so I remember that working when picking up more than ours. My Cayenne holds nothing either but I bought it purely to enjoy the parkway runs back and forth to the City. I do think our 550 holds passengers more comfortably, and probably more bags / gear than even an HSE does. The good news today is that I don't let the kids drive them other than when the oldest comes home at break (this week) she steals the Sport. Kids are in Honda's now which is peace of mind for me and kinder at the fuel pump. I think Suburbans, extended Expeditions, Excursions, etc. all have their place for kid and grocery haulers (as do mini vans though we thankfully managed to raise our kids never owning one) when it comes to "family" vehicles.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Rock Crawling

I only have one child but I can understand what you are saying. Once I load the dog, baby, wife andall of the other things that we sometims carry on trips, we do sometimes get tight on space. It is definitely better than my sedan though as you can pile higher in the back. I agree with MLS, the ESV's and Escursions are much more equipped to handle the heavy volume.

My only other complaint in this category is that the LATCH system is very hard to get to and to release once the car seat is attached. I don't take the base out very often so that is good but when I have to it can bea pain.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Three Wheeling

Luxury1, you make a great point about the latch system.I noticed that the firsttime I put our car seat into the Rover, it was a challenge. It is in now, and I am not looking forward to taking it out.

I agree with both the your comment and the other, in that if you have to really pack up to go on a trip, you will get cramped for space with the Rover. It is great for short day trips or overnights, but if you plan on taking a vacation with the family for an extended period of time, you may find yourself space challenged.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:07 PM
2nd Gear

We also traded out of an '05 Sequoia into an '07 RR HSE. The Rover is a better vehicle hands down, but we miss the room in the Sequoia. Our boy is four and I'm having a really hard time finding a booster seat that fits without covering up the belt latches orrubbing against the rear wheel well cover.Any tips on child car seats/boosters for this truck?