General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range Rover Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:44 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range Rover Sport

I'm interested in purchasing a RR Sport but hearing conflicting stories. Are they really good vehicles? And is the maintenance work on them expensive? (oil change, brake job)

Old 01-19-2010, 12:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What year? RRs are good vehicles, its not like its gona blow up when you buy it . You need to understand you are dealing with a very complex vehicle that has very heavy duty machinery on it, and it will require more maintenance than a normal vehicle. You will go through tires and brakes faster than a normal car because of its weight. Oil changes shouldn't be any different than a normal car (unless you let the dealership pillage your wallet). If you can, try to get one under warranty. If you don't, then find a local shop that will work on RRs and make sure their rates are reasonable.

Last edited by LRScott; 01-19-2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:58 AM
5th Gear

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking about a 2007 or 2006 model but I would really like a 2010 Range Rover Sport. I had been hearing alot of negative replies about them in regards to shock replacements, brake service was around $3,600.00. I recently got out of 2006 Lexus ES330 and the brake service for the front and back was roughly $500 which was duable for me. Oil change was $60.00. I don't want to get way over my head.

Originally Posted by LRScott
What year? RRs are good vehicles, its not like its gona blow up when you buy it . You need to understand you are dealing with a very complex vehicle that has very heavy duty machinery on it, and it will require more maintenance than a normal vehicle. You will go through tires and brakes faster than a normal car because of its weight. Oil changes shouldn't be any different than a normal car (unless you let the dealership pillage your wallet). If you can, try to get one under warranty. If you don't, then find a local shop that will work on RRs and make sure their rates are reasonable.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go to the dealership and let them just do whatever they want and charge you whatever they want then it will expensive to work on and repair. I always suggest finding a god local independent shop that will do quality work for you. Usually they are the guys who get tired of ripping people off and dealing with the politics of a delaership and go out on their own.

Range Rovers are great vehicles, you will love it I am sure.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

brake service was around $3,600.00
If they told me that was the cost, I would have laughed and pointed at them and then go to les schwab to have it done for $300.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LRScott
If they told me that was the cost, I would have laughed and pointed at them and then go to les schwab to have it done for $300.
Maybe they got a Brembo big brake kit for $3600. Even then I think it would be a stretch.

A whole brake rebuild kit from Atlantic British is only $400 which comes with far more then you will ever need. Add a couple hundred for labor and you are still in a reasonable price range.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:44 AM
5th Gear

Yea, I wasn't planning on going to the dealership to purchase the car b/c their price on a 2006/2007 is still $50k or more just crazy. Thanks so much for your reply this helps alot to determine if I want to deal with Range Rover or not at this point. I just don't want to make a bad decision on my "dream truck".

Old 01-20-2010, 08:48 AM
5th Gear

How much is the cost of a oil change from the dealership on a Range Rover Sport. I live in the Houston, TX area and I see these cars EVERYWHERE this year alone so I am thinking the maintenance could not be as much as other ppl are saying they are. I'm torn / confused.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:14 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The rate depends on the vehicle. Some require more expensive synthetic oils while others require the vehicle maintenance light to be turned off with equipment.

brakes aren't that bad. But tires can set you back after you scrub them off.

if you want to buy used buy LR certified. Anything else is a scam from another dealer. Trust me the guys you buy it from don't know how to service the vehicle so they wont and they will leave you holding the bag. Besides LR has to give you at least two keys, Other dealers won't and its around 400 for a key.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:57 AM
5th Gear

Thanks so much for ALL your info in my decision making. It really has been helpful to decide. I am actually going to look at a truck today and decide if I want to purchase or just wait. The 2010 models are NICE!

Quick Reply: Range Rover Sport