General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range Rover Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 03:05 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Maintenance on Range Rovers

I own some auto repair shops. This is the only reason I bought my wife a used Range Rover out of warranty. If you can just barely afford a RR, get something else. If you have money to spare, go ahead. Don't expect anything near Lexus reliability. Don't expect repair costs to be as low as a Lexus. Keep the Rover under warranty. Although repairs are less expensive at independent shops, parts are still ridiculously expensive. Example: my lowest cost for a fuel pump on that Lexus, $85. My lowest on the RR, $615. There is a very limited aftermarket for RR parts. Even when comparing OEM to OEM parts, Lexus parts are a fraction the cost.

On labor, they are no harder to work on than a Lexus. It's a car like any other car. It's no special heavy duty piece of machinery many people claim. Mine is basically a big fat BMW 5 series. The newer ones are just Fords. Don't believe the hype: Jaguar engine, Aston Martin transmission. They're all Fords. The engines and transmissions are all variants of ones used in other Fords. The bad news on labor is many shops don't want to work on them because they're unfamiliar with them. So, shops that specialize in Rovers will have higher labor rates.

So, yes. Get the Rover if you can afford it and make sure it's under warranty.