General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range Rover Sport HST

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 07:51 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range Rover Sport HST

After having a LR3 I fell for this Limited Edition. It has more leather everything, a different grill and special exhaust pipes. A really fine leather steering wheel and Adaptive Cruise Control. The LR3 was a fine car and a fine off roader but this truck would be an fine autobahn blaster. An interesting surprise on the way home from the dealership it got 24-mpg on the same freeway loop where the LR3 got only 20 going 70 mph. The Adaptive cruise takes some getting used to and I have not made up my mind if I like it. It will follow the car ahead of you if you go under your set speed and if that car puts on his brakes it will put on yours and you really feel those Brembo brakes without touching anything. It's not a good idea to use it in heavy traffic where people are merging. If a car pulls in ahead of you it slams on the brakes if it thinks that car is too close. It sometimes will pick a car that is not in your lane if your going around a corner and slams on the brakes. It will take some getting used to but should be handy in just following traffic. More as I put some miles on it.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:30 PM
Rock Crawling

I like the HST a lot and it would be my choice in the Sport line up. What did it end up costing you (if you don't mind me asking)?

It is also interesting to hear how the adaptive cruise works. I would imagine that it would be great on open highways but based on what you said, a hazard in traffic.

Welcome to the forum and we look forward to chatting with you!

Old 04-01-2009, 12:09 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The adaptive cruise is a radar based system that is very effective. Other car companies like to use laser because it is cheaper and easier to produce but will not work properly when the beam is bounced off the car's shiny bumper in front of it. Our XJR has it and I LOVE IT! the thing brakes when it senses a car in front of it engaging the brake lights and everything. It lets you know ahead of time before it slows down by making a few beeps and illuminating a light. The only problem I have had with it is trusting it but, it has never let me down, even in city traffic. The trick is to know where the sensor is on the vehicle so you can point it at the car in front of you, otherwise it doesn't see it and bad things can happen...(thankfully not to me).

Old 04-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Drifting

I am getting used to this ACC. It seems that Land Rover has done their homework. It's going to be a great asset in heavy traffic. The only thing I haven't figured it is that it seems it picks the longest distance between vehicles when you first engage it. (Being a former pilot I can easily read the LR manual.) But if your merging in heavy traffic sometimes it slams the brakes on when it could just let off the gas. These are minor issues and I'm glad I have it.

They are about 10k more than the regular HST's Nice leather seats and a soft leather steering wheel from the big Rovers, Very cool exhaust pipes. The building that I live in has lots of Rovers but they are all talking about mine.

One problem is the high speed tires that came with, not something one would wanting to drive around in a bad snow storm with. There almost no good off road tires available for the 20 inch rims. I found some Nito Grabblers that I had to special order and am still waiting for. You can't go to 19 inch wheels because of the Barabus Brakes. Hopefully BFG will make a tire that will fit someday. They do make one for the 20 inch wheel but it rubbed.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice incite on the A.C.C. and the Brembo's I live in Chicago and would most definitely want to be able to continue getting snow tires for my winter driving escapades. I have been considering a RRS S/C the 06 are getting affordable.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Drifting

Not sure if there is any truth to it, but my salesman actually steered me away from the CPO 06 Supercharged Ranges he said they were quite problematic. 07 and up are supposed to have all the kinks worked out...so far.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Drifting

This thing is pretty smooth so far. That's one thing I like about it. The whole thing about Land Rover being unreliable I wonder about. Denver has more older Land Rovers driving around than a lot of brands.

BTW, I don't like to get into debates on car boards about driving styles. To each his own. But I let this Rover go down the Georgetown Hill without touching the brakes or downshifting I would be doing well over a 80.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

no debate, but if you are in low range with hill descent control engaged there is no way you will reach those speeds. And I have tested that on a 45 degree grade.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Overlanding

i just leased an HST last week... so far all's great, but still getting used to the idea of a large SUV... i used to have a Jag XJR - very similar vehicles in many ways

btw, so far, i put on 240miles, and averaged 8.5mpg

Old 04-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Drifting

Just had picked up a set of Nito Grapplers. They look to be aggressive off road tires. I think the car handles better with these tires than with the high speed tires that came with it.

Quick Reply: Range Rover Sport HST