General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another EAS question....

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another EAS question....

After looking up some info on the EAS for my 96 RR... I am CONFUSED about how to fix. I bought the rover from some a private seller. He told me that the EAS worked, but when the battery went dead he tried to jump start and the truck would not start. He said that it sat about a month till he purchased a new battery. Upon installation of the new battery he said the air suspension no longer worked. I agreed on purchasing the vehicle as is and thought I could try to figure it out and get the suspension fixed because I really liked the overall rover. Now after doing some research about the air suspension I am kind of lost. I notice how many said the EAS system was expensive to maintain, so I thought coil spring conversion... Although keeping the EAS would be nice, but the nearest LR dealer is 150 miles away.

Right now the truck is sittin LOW (bump stops)! When the ignition is turned on all the lights come on I get the "EAS FAULT". I don't what and how to test anything to figure out the problem.... Could anyone help with some troubleshooting steps? One thing I checked was the fuse under the hood that has the picture of the truck and the up/down arrows... it was Okay! When I press the up/down buttons on the dash I dont hear anything happening with the compressor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Old 04-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Another EAS question....

Usually the way the system fails is like this: The bags begin to leak/crack...which causes the compressor to work harder and longer to maintain ride height, which causes compressor overload, which burns it out, flips the thermal switch (not actually a switch, it is an intergral part of the compressor), and kills the compressor.

The best way to do it is to catch the system before it faults out..but since you have, you're stuck. A rover scan tool can read the EAS computer, and there are a few ways to diagnose the system on your own. You can also manually jump the compressor by grounding out the wiring harness under the seat and see if the compressor works and you just blew a bag causing the fault.

Read through all the articles on RangeRovers.net regarding the EAS system diagnosis and repair:

http://rangerovers.net/repairdetails...ml#suspension2

Good luck! My EAS went out at 81k miles, and I just went for the coil conversion to save me $6000 and the trouble down the road with replacing the EAS [&o].

Old 04-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Three Wheeling

On the "Main System Components and Failure Modes" under the compressor section it states: On the 4.0/4.6, failure of compressor to operate at all can mean maxi fuse 2 is blown or Relay 20 is defunct.
The fuse on my RR is not blown, but I dont know about the relay. Do they sell them at regular auto part stores?

Old 04-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Drifting

Swap it with another similar relay.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:53 PM
RED
4wd Low

Thats right! Wolfpack has it to the tee! If you really want to keep your EAS then outside of doing a visual scan of the bags and lines you have to do the scan to find the fault. I would remind you that your year of Rover is only the 3rd year to have the EAS System and although some say you can get good articulation with it, it may not be worth having to be towed from the middle of nowhere or try and drive (not over 20MPH) back home only to have to replace part of the system or just get pissed and do the coil spring conversion. The coil spring conversion has its advantages, you can go with a better, larger tires, in most cases that may save some dough and allow for other fun stuff you can save up for. Just my 2 cents!

Mine went out on the way home from a friends house and I was happy the whole way because I wasn't stuck in the middle of MOAB trying to get back home. I kept the parts, which I pulled everything off and took about25-30 lbs. off my truck. I'm thinking about modifing my air tank to a compressor to quickly re-fill my tires in the field.

Old Man Emu medium springs with Old Man Emu heavy duty Shocks.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:17 AM
Three Wheeling

I just checked out my RR at my local mechanic shop and he just finished the Coil spring conversion... The back looks good (not too high), but the front look higher than the ba ck(almost double the gap on the wheel well). I don't think it looks right... I bought the spring package from Land Rover Parts (roverlandparts.com). Has anyone had an issue with this?

Thanks

Old 04-25-2008, 12:29 AM
Winching

it might need to just settle out...but I still have about 1' or less of forward rake...I havn't measure though, just going off memory

Old 04-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Three Wheeling

Well Im out of town for the weekend, but when I get home I will try measure to see how much I have... If you wouldn't mind, could you measure the distance from the floor to the highest area on the wheel well so I can compare? And where did you get your spring conversion from? and would having adjustable shocks help get a lower look, or is that just for the quality of the ride?

Thanks

Old 04-25-2008, 12:42 AM
Winching

I sure can measure for ya tomorrow. As for the springs...couldn't tell ya where...I just know I requested the +2 kit, and the shop ordered and did the work for me. Worked out the best for me at the time

Old 04-25-2008, 11:34 AM
RED
4wd Low

I used Old Man EMU and did the work myself. If memory serves, the rear are larger than the front, so your mech placed the front on the rear and the rear on the front. Mine is level and looking good~!

Quick Reply: Another EAS question....