General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rare 4.6 Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rare 4.6 Problem

Before going into the details about this, Has anyone ever heard of a 4.6 block using oversize cam bearings?

We had this 4.6 block for about a year now, customer said all the cam bearings he bought for it were too small. So he gave us the block and said, get them from the dealer and put them on. We bought cam bearings from the dealer and they were too small as well. If i remember correctly, when you buy after market cam bearings for the rovers, you have to machine them to fit, even the dealer ones are like that too.

Talked to 3 different dealers, nobody has any idea. Even showed a shop manager at Manhattan Land Rover the block and he was baffled. Customer ended up just letting me have the block and he got another one from a scrap yard.

As far as the year is concern, I have no idea, the motor has been here for so long, nobody can remember, but its def not a late 4.6, it came out of a late 90s Range Rover.

I have the engine laying here, with a pristine crank and might want to set it up for a future project, Anyone have an idea of what can be done?

Bigger Pictures here: http://kandkengines.blogspot.com