General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

recovery from tank of water into gastank....

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 06:46 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recovery from tank of water into gastank....

the rover seemed to run out of gas and the nameless persons trying to resolve the situation put old gas with a gallon of rainwater into the tank. Seems I've got that situation worked out by fuel pump draining it "dry", changing fuel filter, tore off plenum, removed injectors to clean out the junk/water/bad gas, bleed out fuel rail.

before the draining it would start and run on quickstart and a gas spray bottle -- I know it's dangerous -- singed my arm hair good with it. no more of that...

So, with 5 gallons of fresh gas in there, 2 cans of heet (iso.alcohol), and battery charger -- crank and crank -- now not even a pop (with or without quick start). Seems like no spark.

put a "noid" or Node light on the electrical connector for an injector and no glow -- seems no current going to the injector.

the only electrical thing I know that works is the 3 sec fuel pump at key on.

So -- was it really out of gas or did a relay or ECU go out? Any other ideas ??

Old 08-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Mudding

no fuses burnt out in the dash.. hard to reach the right-hand under seat relays -- how to test a relay seems even harder yet to me....

Old 08-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Mudding

got the spark plugs to fire -- the relay under the passenger seat for ECU was fried. $10 part at advanced auto.

However that did not fix my fuel supply problem. wish I could put a carb on the 3.9L efi...

Old 08-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why in the name of sanity would anyone think that old gas and rainwater would cure your ills ? Good grief, it truley boggles the mind that anyone could be so daft.