General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reinforced brake hoses and stainless steel exhaust systems for RR 2002

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 01:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reinforced brake hoses and stainless steel exhaust systems for RR 2002

Are these really necessary? Are they worth getting?
Atlantic British had them on there site and many items are on sale. A paint pen for $17?
Boria is the exhaust system guaranteed for 1 million miles! Over kill right?
Midas had just of my exhaust system for $300.

What have you guys done in the past for these parts?

Old 06-29-2010, 06:23 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

no, the hoses don't split and unless you intend to keep it along time then the regular price stuff works fine.

There are alot of other things on a RR to spend money on. Trust me.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:27 AM
Rock Crawling

Thank you Rovin4life. It's easy to get caught up on all the enticing propaganda that the marketing team throw at us.
I and all who read this should stick to the basic parts and we will be fine as you assured us.

Last edited by RROJ; 06-30-2010 at 01:32 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:40 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought one of those touch up pens. I found it rather useless, it was hard to control the flow, most of the time I couldn't get much paint out of it. I ended up ordering a different style of pen and a bottle of touch up elsewhere.

I have a Borla stainless header and exhaust on my Jeep. It's over 5 years old and as good as new, even with living in PA and dealing with all of the road salt. If you plan on keeping the truck for a long period and your exhaust is in need of replacement, it is something to consider IMHO. Plus the sound is nice

The stainless brake hoses I would only bother with if you did a lot of off roading and/or had a lift on the truck and needed to put longer hoses on anyway, then I'd look to upgrade. But mine will keep the stock ones for the forseeable future.

Everyone uses cars and trucks differently. Some aftermarket items are indeed valuable and worth the cost depending on what you intend to do with the vehicle. Others, as you say, have only propaganda value.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Rock Crawling

Chris,
Thank you for your response. I will definitely keep my RR for a very long time. I will pass on the touch up pen and the reinforced brake hoses. Just curious how would you describe the sound the stainless steel exhaust sounds like? I have walked behind some cars when crossing the street in bumper to bumper traffic in New York City. The only sound that some cars made was something like a hissing sound coming from the tailpipe. Is that a stainless steel exhaust system?

Old 07-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RROJ,

I would say the stainless sound is typically much "throatier" from a stainless exhaust than the factory unit, as they are usually more free flowing than stock. Another way to describe it would be it is deeper in tone, and usually a good degree louder. Most will have a "rumble" type of beat rather than a smooth note.

The variables would be the type/size of motor, headers or not, resonators or not, muffler flow characteristics and mounting location. All of these would factor into the actual sound of the exhaust. A turbo 4 banger will sound much different than a big block V-8 even with the same style of system.

But anyway, there are probably some clips on YouTube where you could listen to stainless vs. stock if you want to research further. I don't think the stainless on the P38 would be too loud, at least not for my taste. Although if it is loud, the drone on the highway could get annoying.

Cheers!

Old 07-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Rock Crawling

Excellent comments Chris! With that information I feel that I should stay with the stock since it will be quieter and will not have a that drone sound on the highway. I've had friends ride with me in the RR and they are instant fans of Range Rovers. Thanks again for the descriptive comments they have made a huge difference in my selecting which exhaust to purchase when the time comes.