General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RRC 92 3.9 Dies On HWY It's Possessed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RRC 92 3.9 Dies On HWY It's Possessed!!!

My RRC 92 3.9 has a phantom. Today my car died driving down the hwy at 60mph.

My fuel light came on, but my tank is full and the car pretty much just died. All the power options still worked. It would start and turn over but not run. I hit the hazard light and called my wife.

While I was doing this I took the key out of the ignition let the car sit for a minute, put the key back in and started it up, the car started up without any issue and I started driving back home.

When I got closer to my house, about a mile up the road from where I broke down, I pulled into a parking lot and checked the vehicle over, I looked for any codes, but there wasn't any. I let it sit and started it up again.

I noticed the fuel light came on and it felt like it was going to die again but didn't. This is the first time I've had this happen.

I replaced the fuel pump as a precautionary measure about 8 weeks ago along with the fuel pump. I wonder if this has anything to do with this or if I need to clean out the fuel system? Sorry for the long thread but I wanted to be thorough as possible.

Hope I get some good suggestions!

Old 07-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you checked your fuse? It could have a hairline crack in it. Try replacing it with another and see what happens. I would also replace the fuel filter if you haven't already.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Drifting

I called the Rover mechanic in my area without looking at it they thought it could have something to do with ignition or the distributor cap. . .

I replaced the fuel filter about 8 weeks ago.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah that actually does sound like a distributor issue now that i think about it. What confuses me though, is the fuel light... Which might have something to do with the fuel delivery system.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Rock Crawling

I also think it has something to do with the fuel system. I think it is more than a coincidence that the fuel light came on at the same time that the truck died. I would go back over everything that you did to it and make sure all of the electrical connections and grounds are ok. This will be difficult to diagnose due to its intermittent nature. Always check your fuses and relays first as they are the cheapest and easiest parts to replace. The best thing you can do is pick up a fuel pressure gauge and carry it around with you for the next time you have problems.