General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RRC LWB VS. P38, I can't decide which one to buy.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 08:59 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RRC LWB VS. P38, I can't decide which one to buy.

Hey guys,

I'm having a hard time trying to decide which vehicle is better, a '90's (preferably 1995) RRC LWB, or a early 2000's P38. I would be using one of the vehicles in question mostly as a commuter to work and back which is around 46 miles combined with most of the driving being on highways and interstates at speeds arounds 45-70 MPH. Now I know that the P38 would be the superior vehicle in this mode, but the drawback is that I participate in local BSA camp outs where cargo space matters and from what I've read, the P38 has five less cubic feet of cargo space compared to the RRC, and the RRC's cargo area is already a little small. But as I just said, the P38 is probably better built, it's probably better to drive as a commuter, and when properly maintained, will probably be more reliable, but I still think the RRC looks better than the P38, and it might be more rugged for both nature and people.

So as you can see, I'm in a tough spot trying to make a hard decision. I will be posting this across different groups as well as forums so that this post will get more publicity as well as different opinions.

Thanks!

Old 09-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Three Wheeling

Going out on a limb here. Looking at the cars in your stable from your first post makes me think the real question you are asking is should I buy and maintain a P38 or should I restore/customize a RRC. Take the daily commuter requirement out of the equation (why drive a truck when other cars are more efficient for daily commuting) and follow your dream, take your time shopping and get a nice RRC. Then at your leisure tinker with it; a engine rebuild or swap out (turbo diesel?), suspension rebuild, lift and upgrade, bigger tires, wild paint job.... Think Camel Trophy.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree with Ringo. I had a 1999 P38 with the Bosch engine and it was a very comfortable vehicle and I enjoyed having it, but I also had to repair it more often than I liked. I rebuilt the air suspension (valve body, compressor, bags, etc.), had issues with the HVAC (blend motors, display went dim, etc.), and had to mess with the ABS (accumulator, pressure switch, a;though a classic isn't much better in this area). Given the effort I put into keeping the P38's systems working properly, I would have rather put the same effort into restoring a Classic.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

get a 95 range rover classic or a discovery 1. if you get a p38 you will want to cut your own wrists.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Get a 2005 RR - Bulletproof BMW 4.4 - Smooth 5 speed ZF autobox - Comfy - Looks bad ***
affordable - GIGANTIC leap ahead of P38 and like not even in the same ballpark... check that, not even in the same sport as a Classic. If you like driving a rusty, slow, uncomfortable, gas guzzling, quirky, leaky, pile of crap go for the Classic. I own 2 P38's and they are great to me, no complaints other than the usual rover nonsense.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
Get a 2005 RR - Bulletproof BMW 4.4 - Smooth 5 speed ZF autobox - Comfy - Looks bad ***
affordable - GIGANTIC leap ahead of P38 and like not even in the same ballpark... check that, not even in the same sport as a Classic. If you like driving a rusty, slow, uncomfortable, gas guzzling, quirky, leaky, pile of crap go for the Classic. I own 2 P38's and they are great to me, no complaints other than the usual rover nonsense.
so the Range Rover Classic, the SUV that redefined the auto market around the world, that changed the way everyone on this planet thought by turning a utilitarian vehicle into a luxury vehicle. You consider a rusty, slow, uncomfortable, gas guzzling, quirky, leaky, pile of crap? yet you are a Rover Master Tech? You my friend are an embarrassment to the brand.

It's clear the OP doesn't have $15k to spend on a L322 which is why he is between a P38 and a classic which retail for about the same amount on the used market.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:26 PM
Drifting

Ringo,

I'm not sure where you got this idea that I want to restore a RRC, I'm just trying to ask some RRC and P38 owners of their experiences with them so that I can get a better idea as to what I would be getting into if I bought one of the pair for my commute, BSA stuff, basically my daily driver. As far as my "first post" goes, I'm not too sure what you mean, do you mean the "Independent L322 Mechanics Near Mobile, AL" post, because I was just inquiring about independent shops because my wife was contemplating buying a 2008 RR S/C. Long story short, she bought a real nice one with some money she saved up, and I'm making the payments on it. Anyway, my goal is to find a nice, clean, unmolested RRC or P38 and I don't mind spending a little extra money just to have a nice car, not some POS that someone couldn't afford in the first place.

RoverMasterTech,

Even though my wife has a L322 and that it is a huge leap forward compared to the RRC and P38 and it does have a lovely interior, the exterior is just too glitzy and brash for my tastes, I even think the P38 has a little too much bling, but the L322 shows a full collaboration between Land Rover and the bling brigade, just too much for me, that's one reason why I love the RRC exterior so much, it's clean, simple, straightforward, and I'm not trying to sound like Jeremy Clarkson, but you can tell by just looking at it that it has a soul, a simple elegance without 22 inch chrome wheels, blacked out windows or any of that nonsense.

hilltoppersx,

I've actually got $25k to spend on a RRC or P38 which is probably twice as much as I need. If I wanted a L322, I'd just spend $30.00 taking my wife out to dinner and see if she'll let me use it. lol

Thanks for the replies, I'll be monitoring the thread for more replies.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:03 AM

i would get a range rover classic if i were you. For $6-10k you can get a very nicely restored one. The p38's are really troublesome with the electronics the only obvious advantage is the 4.6 p38's is leaps and bounds more powerful then the 3.9 in the classic. There was a really beautiful RRC for sale up here for $6500 a month or so ago, dealer maintained, LWB, TRW rims was sweet. I paid $3k for my 93 classic, it needed suspension, brakes all around, ps pump, abs pump, accumulator and tie rod and track rod ends.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Hey I'm not trying to knock your truck Hilltopper, I just hate RRC's and think they are **** boxes, and yeah, that is my professional opinion. Your truck may be a really nice awesome truck, I have never seen it and have no idea. But that being said, the vast majority of RRC's are hulking piles of crap begging for a resting place in roverland.

And hey Henrodstone, If you are willing to spend that kind of money, go for a Defender!
You could get an immaculate one for 20k and they do not drive bad on the highway and are monstrous off road.

If a Defender is out of the question. I would go 2002 P38 with EAS (make sure it wasn't converted to coil.)

Old 09-25-2012, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
Hey I'm not trying to knock your truck Hilltopper, I just hate RRC's and think they are **** boxes, and yeah, that is my professional opinion. Your truck may be a really nice awesome truck, I have never seen it and have no idea. But that being said, the vast majority of RRC's are hulking piles of crap begging for a resting place in roverland.

And hey Henrodstone, If you are willing to spend that kind of money, go for a Defender!
You could get an immaculate one for 20k and they do not drive bad on the highway and are monstrous off road.

If a Defender is out of the question. I would go 2002 P38 with EAS (make sure it wasn't converted to coil.)
you're entitled to your "professional" opinion. I don't care what you think about any of my trucks. Have you ever owned a range rover classic? Or are you just basing your assumption on nothing more then you have worked on some at your shop. The next time you come across some hulking pile of crap let me know, I will take it off your hands, put mud terrains on it and wheel the **** out of it harder then you ever will in a p38.

Quick Reply: RRC LWB VS. P38, I can't decide which one to buy.