General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RRC no heat

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 07:02 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RRC no heat

Hello,
So I inherited a 93 classic lwb and it's a super cool rig. Unfortunately, literally. I have lots of records with it and it seems the heater core has been flushed and all the coolant pipes are new. There is NO heat. Not remotely warm. I'm suspecting the blend doors. Is there an easy way to access them or test them? Any other suggestions? It -10 degrees out!
Thanks.
Andy

Old 02-23-2015, 07:25 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

unfortunately rrc heater cores are a bitch 10 hours to replace.
If you remove the center console with the radio you might be able to get to some of the blend doors.
That is assuming your blowers are working, there is a different blower motor for the heat than the two used for AC.
Honestly I replaced the core and blower and i think RRC heat just sucks.

Last edited by drowssap; 02-23-2015 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:30 PM
Three Wheeling

Just did a core swap on my 94 LWB, you will have to take everything apart and then some..... try everything and anything before you attach the core. Im currently having problems with my doors also, Best bet is to open 1 door and make it semi permanent until you have warmer weather to screw with it.

Also just be sure the core isn't air bound, just to prevent unnecessary work.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:20 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by drowssap
unfortunately rrc heater cores are a bitch 10 hours to replace.
If you remove the center console with the radio you might be able to get to some of the blend doors.
That is assuming your blowers are working, there is a different blower motor for the heat than the two used for AC.
Honestly I replaced the core and blower and i think RRC heat just sucks.
The fans are working great but it doesn't seem like the heat can get out of the core. If I wait a while, the defrost and feet will warm up a little but no matter how I move the switches, COLD air comes out of the dash vents. there ends up being a lot more cold air than warm air so it's pointless.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:59 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

First, drowssap is spot on- heat/ac in RRC sucks! My 2 cents...
I had this happen in a '94 and it drove me mad. Turned out to be a bad thermostat (stuck open). PITA because the thermostat was only 2 months old, and tested before it was installed.

Try replacing the thermostat with a 190 F ( ETC4765 ) like this > Thermostat With Gasket - 190 Degrees F (Genuine Part # ETC4765 ) - Land Rover kits from Atlantic British

And most important, get ALL of the air out of the system!

Old 02-26-2015, 10:38 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by mtrdrms
The fans are working great but it doesn't seem like the heat can get out of the core. If I wait a while, the defrost and feet will warm up a little but no matter how I move the switches, COLD air comes out of the dash vents. there ends up being a lot more cold air than warm air so it's pointless.
If, by dash vents, you mean the ones in the wood trimmed section of the dash, they will NEVER get warm. They are fresh and and A/C vents only with the vents tied to the A/C blower motors. You'll only get heat off the vents on the top of the dash and below the dash.

The following users liked this post:
drowssap (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 06:21 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
If, by dash vents, you mean the ones in the wood trimmed section of the dash, they will NEVER get warm. They are fresh and and A/C vents only with the vents tied to the A/C blower motors. You'll only get heat off the vents on the top of the dash and below the dash.
So is there any way to turn off the cold air coming out of the dash vents? No matter the hvac settings there is cold air blowing out of those vents.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:23 AM
Baja

you need to remember AC is not big in England, so you basically have a add on AC unit.
the heat is self contained in a separate unit, the heater matrix hold the heater fan, which as Paul stated only does the floor and defroster vents on the TOP of the dash.
There is also a fan resitor that is known to go which will also kill the heater blower motor.
it been a while but it think you slide the fan switch all the way to the right to kill the AC fans and enable the heater fan.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:00 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by drowssap
you need to remember AC is not big in England, so you basically have a add on AC unit.
the heat is self contained in a separate unit, the heater matrix hold the heater fan, which as Paul stated only does the floor and defroster vents on the TOP of the dash.
There is also a fan resitor that is known to go which will also kill the heater blower motor.
it been a while but it think you slide the fan switch all the way to the right to kill the AC fans and enable the heater fan.
Ok, that's good info. So in that case, I think my ac fan is working great! However I can't get it to shut off and my heater fan to turn on. When I turn on the blower (bottom right **** that slides right to left) it only operates the ac fan. Is there anything I can do about this?

Last edited by mtrdrms; 02-27-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:15 AM
Baja

you could unplug the AC blowers, i would say pull the fuse but i "think" that will also kill the power to the heater blower too.

Quick Reply: RRC no heat