General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 11:09 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I ??

Hello Ladies & gents,

My name is Chaz (Charles). I am new to the Land Rover world, so I need some guidance and advice A.S.A.P! I have always had a love for the looks of land rover/range rover. However I have yet to own one, but I may be hours away from making a purchase of a 1999 Land Rover Range Rover. I did some reseacrh on this model, and was sad to see such negative reviews on edmunds. The reviews have me skeptical now? So What I would like is some input from the pro's with the passion. Feed back needed on the following questions:

1999 RANGE ROVER 4.6 HSE (149,000 mi.)

1.Should I even make this purchase?

2. What can i do to verify I'm not getting a lemon? (without taking it to a mechanic)

3. if this is a Great/Good Purchase, can you tell me the Joy's I will get from this machine?

4. any additional input you could offer would be great!

Old 09-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

see recent post to another searcher. https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...7-disco-43878/

Although his is a Discovery, most applies. Temp gauge is oriented differently in Rangie, look for running a little less than mid point. In particular search for others in nearby areas to compare prices with web site listed.

If you are an oil change at shop for $16 kind of guy, and only work on your lawn mower, this might be more service than you like. If you maintain your vehicles with open check book, look for an indy shop, the dealers are very proud of their pampering of the posh sheetmetal.

It is like owning any high miles high dollar import, it is high cost to keep in showroom condition. If you are buying this as a commuter beater daily driver, it will cost more to operate than an econo box.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Overlanding

Check the oil make sure there is no water passing through. Take it for a test drive on the street to see if it gets hot, 15-20 minute drive. Make sure the transfer case is operating, and test the 4x4. Check for any oil leaks around the oil pump and crankshaft seal.

See if the PO has service records and look for any major issues or repairs.

P.S. I am not a "pro", I am sure there is more to check for.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:54 AM
4wd Low

Thanks to everyone! I'll let you know what i come up with.

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
see recent post to another searcher. https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...7-disco-43878/

Although his is a Discovery, most applies. Temp gauge is oriented differently in Rangie, look for running a little less than mid point. In particular search for others in nearby areas to compare prices with web site listed.

If you are an oil change at shop for $16 kind of guy, and only work on your lawn mower, this might be more service than you like. If you maintain your vehicles with open check book, look for an indy shop, the dealers are very proud of their pampering of the posh sheetmetal.

It is like owning any high miles high dollar import, it is high cost to keep in showroom condition. If you are buying this as a commuter beater daily driver, it will cost more to operate than an econo box.