General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smoking

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 08:23 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoking

Can any please help me. Live in a remote area of Costa Rica and we have very few good mechanics and the good ones don't like to work on LRs.

I have an 86 3.5L RR. It is fuel inyected and everything is stock.
This morning it started to smoke up and is missing constantly. After a few minutes it would no longer idle either. I placed new ignition wires and spark plugs. When i started it work better than before for about 3 minutes and then it died again. When i restarted it went back to smoking and missing. The exhaust is throwing out clouds of smelly gasoline. I checked the just installed spark plugs and they had heavy dry carbon deposits.
I check and adjusted the TPS to about 290mv and after a few minutes it stopped missing and the smoke was reduce, but still vaguely present. I drove it about 80km and it used up about 20 bucks in gas (about 20 liters), normally it would use about 10 bucks for that same trip. It is riding very rough and at most idle times it will turn off. The gas smell from the exhaust followed me the whole trip and at idle a small cloud was very obvious.

I have done most of previous work on this RR due to that good mechanics are scarce here. I have the manual as backup material.

Please help me with this. I urge very much the use of this car.

Thanks

Old 03-22-2009, 10:52 PM
5th Gear
Question

Well im going to go over the complete engine tuning according to the manual.
I just have another question that is not clear in the manual. Is the vacuum advance hose that goes from the plenum chamber to the distributor, should it be connected the internal (dist. side) plug or the farside plug?
At the moment it is coneected the internal. I have seen many other RRs with this hose conected the the farside plug.

Can anyone please confirm if i have to change it

Old 03-23-2009, 06:15 PM
5th Gear
Question

Ok so im done with engine setting procedure according to manual. I have set plenum butterfly opening, i set the tps to 290mv. After checking the sparkplug order i saw that it had cylinder 1 on top instead of on bottom. I think this doesnt really make a big deal as long as the order is the same, but i took out distributor and set according to manual also.

I staticly timed it to TDC with cylinder 1 on compresion stroke. I took out all the plugs and washed them and confirmed gap. Then placed cables accordingly. Just before starting i advanced it about 2-4 degrees.

It started right up. I adjusted idle screw on plenum to allow 700 rpm. I also timed it to TDC with lamp and the advance hose disconnected and plugged. It ran nicely for about 4 -5 minutes and then began to accelerate to about 1200 rpms and then it died. Now it will not start. It turns and tries to start but dies immediately.

Any suggestions