General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOMEONE BUMPED INTO MY ROVER!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOMEONE BUMPED INTO MY ROVER!!!!!

By the thread title we can tell two things:

1. SOME A$$ BUMPED INTO MY ROVER (if you can't drive in the snow, maybe you should STAY HOME)
2. I'm obviously very mad right now (as apparent by the caps)

It's minor damage but that's not the point. It's the rear bumper on thepassenger side, my reflector is broken and there's a little dent .

BTW: is this reflector one of those randomly expencive parts or is it actually as cheep as it should be?

Old 01-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: SOMEONE BUMPED INTO MY ROVER!!!!!

What are the chances, you have only had the car a few weeks! What exactly happened? Did they slide into you?

If they hit you thenyou shouldn't worry about cost since their insurance should cover it. Get a body shop recommendation from thedealerif the dealer doesn't do the work themselves.

A little damage can costa lot just depending on the extent of the damage. How bad is the bumper? Is it a paintless dent removal or replacement? You may also want to get it realigned. I was only hit once and the BMW guys said you should always have the car realigned after any accident or fender bender.

So cost is hard to estimate but if it is the entire assembly it could be a few hundred dollars.Rover connection is a very common supplier butalso priceyour local dealer. http://roverconnection.com/

Old 01-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Three Wheeling

Oh it's not the tail light assembly, it's the reflector at the bottom of the bumper, under the park sensors. The dent is itty bitty.

Person bumped me and drove off while I was in the store, no idea who it was or exactly how it happened. In Vancouver (because this kind of bad driving is so ridiculously common) if you don't get the other driver it's your fault. That's right, because person didn't hang around this is now my bill.

Thx for the link, found the reflector no problem (part number LR006348 if you want to know specifically which reflector it is, haha). It's $31. So that's good I suppose.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Thank goodness it isn't the entire taillightassembly!

What a bummer that people hit your car and just drive away. How can they do that and sleep at night.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Drifting

It's a tiny dent in your bumper? And a broken reflector light? Sounds to me like a good excuse to get out on the trail and break some more stuff. Seriously - there's a reason it's called a "bumper".

Sorry, not a lot of sympathy here. People going after other people for insurance claims and paying thousands "fixing" a dent in a bumper, is why we have outrageous insurance rates, not to mention people who bump-and-run.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Three Wheeling

I'm not going to make a claim for it, there's no point given how our scam of a singular and mandated insurrance company 'works' here.

I don't do off-roading and I like to keep my cars nice (damage free) and it just really bothers me that so many people park/drive by feel, damage other peoples' cars & just drive off instead of actually knowing where the corners of their cars are and not hitting/rubbing other peoples' cars. I can manage my Rover just fine and I guarantee unless you're in one of the maybe 5 vehicles that are approximately the same size or maybe a bit bigger than the Range Rover, that you are in a smaller car, so why can't you manuver it with out hitting mine!!??

Old 01-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: justfred
Sorry, not a lot of sympathy here. People going after other people for insurance claims and paying thousands "fixing" a dent in a bumper, is why we have outrageous insurance rates, not to mention people who bump-and-run.
I think this was suggested prior to knowing the extent of the damage.

Nevertheless, I would feel this way if it was a beater but if someone hits my $80,000 Range Rover and does damage, I will definitely send it through their insurance until it is restored to its original condition. My car is in perfect condition and I want to keep it that way.

A lot of people feel the way you do though Justfred. When parallel parking they back up until they hit the car behind and then pull forward until they hit the car in front of them. They feel like that is what they bumper is there for and they should be used. However, when you have a new car or when you have a car that you are trying to keep in good condition, you feel differently and don't want people constantly hitting your bumpers (or other parts of the car depending on how the cars measure up to each other). Same with side doors, some people will open them up and hit the car next to them without a care in the world.

I always park my car waaay away from everyone else as I am always concerned about it getting hit. Also, when I park on the street I raise it to off-road mode (AKA; high mode) so my bumper is aligned more with their trunk. I think it works pretty well.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it makes you feel any better, some idiot hit my MKIII the week I got it. Worst part was I had just finished a presentation that left me exhausted... came out to the Rover and opened the back door to put my computer in the back and the door opens about a quarter of the way (my head and shoulder is already in the opening) before I hear a horrible scrapping sound. It comes slamming back in on me, and in order to get my body out of the jam I had to open it more again. The screeching of metal on metal again was really painful. I hadn't noticed because it was getting pretty dark but turns out some idiot hit me between the rear and front door and then scrapped along nearly the entire side of the vehicle. I still don't know how that's possible since they would have heard metal scrapping but nonetheless it happened. I was never happier to have hit and run insurance.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Drifting

"Nevertheless, I would feel this way if it was a beater but if someone hits my $80,000 Range Rover and does damage, I will definitely send it through their insurance until it is restored to its original condition. My car is in perfect condition and I want to keep it that way." - luxury1
To each his own, I suppose, but your car is never in perfect condition, even when it leaves the factory (especially so in the case of Rovers!) A car is not a work of art, it's a tool. Tools get used, tools get worn. Sure, if someone comes along and runs into you or scrapes the side, they (their insurance) should have to pay for it, but if you want to drive a perfect irreplaceable work of art, you should have some different special sort of insurance for it, and pay for that yourself. I have insurance to cover major damage, to keep from being sued, and because the state requires it. "Normal wear and tear" is normal, to be expected, and not worth paying insurance companies to fix, no matter whose "fault" it is.

"I don't do off-roading and I like to keep my cars nice (damage free)" - Faymester
Then again, I also think that having a Rover and not taking it offroad/towing trailers/filling it with gear/parking it in normal parking lots/etc is an utter waste. I know, this is the way Range Rovers are marketed/sold, as blingmobiles - but it's a shame, because they're designed to be abused, not babied. (Ditto - and more so - for the US Gelandewagen) You really want to keep the vehicle perfect, damage free? Leave it in the garage, or better yet, don't buy it in the first place, it will remain "perfect". I still believe that the reliability reports on Rovers are partially related to the sort of people who are buying them: people whose cars must be perfect.

On the other, other hand, since these people seem to get rid of their cars early, when the warranty is up, that lowers the resale value and makes them useful/affordable to the rest of us. Got me my D2 in not quite perfect condition, with half the warranty left, for half price. So, thanks!

Old 01-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Three Wheeling

Idivine: that does totally suck! I would be furious. That just reitterates my point that there are way too many people out there who just can't drive & have no care or respect for other people's property.

justfred: My Rover is not a 'bling-mobile' & I didn't buy it for the status or anything else like that. I bought the Rover because there is some serious winter happening here in Vancouver and neither of my other cars can manage.

Not everyone views their car as a 'tool' to be used and abused (me included). If I wanted a point A - B car I would buy a Civic (likewise, if I wanted an A - B SUV I would get a Jeep) such that I wouldn't care when something happened to it. That's not what it's about to me, hence my upsetness. If you like to 'use your car like a tool' all I can say is please be respectful and don't assume that others share your position.

Quick Reply: SOMEONE BUMPED INTO MY ROVER!!!!!