General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling and More!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 11:06 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling and More!!

Hello Everyone, I am new owner of a 93' RRC sport with 192k miles. I have only had the Rover for 3months and the labor of love already began. the first day i bought it the water pump went out. replaced. noticed it was still overheating and replaced the reservoir cap. problem solved. the latest problem is as follows and this is where I need some help. here it goes.

Symptom: RRC stalls at stops or at low speeds. and has a hard time getting started and sometimes it just wont starts, cranks but no go. this has happen twice where it turns off and wont restart both times the starter has gone out from 3-5 attempts to get it going. The RRC idle is mostly normal until it start dropping slowly an starts bouncing like it wants to recover and just dies out. engine sounds great on a normal idle cant tell its on.

Here what has been changed:
--New water pump
--New Thermostat
--New fuel filter
--Flushed engine
-- New AC delco oil filter
-- 15-40 oil
-- New starter which is now fried.

could this be an electrical issue?

-- I have read previous threads on stalling where it talks about cleaning th Flame return T, and cleaning the idle sensor on the side of the intake. I changed the oil and filter to the forums recommendation and it runs like new WHEN its running.

I am determine to find a solution for it, I really enjoy the RRC. I have the RAVE CD for reference. ALL help is appreciated thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails Stalling and More!!-img_8822.jpg  
Old 09-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow could be so many things. May be a fuel pressure issue, the next time have a fuel pressure gauge when it dies.

I have a 94' Disco that had the same thing going on, turned out to be the O2 sensors. I would look at the fuel first though. Start there and see what you get.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats a very nice rangie you have. My boss's classic is doing this same thing, unfortunately the poor thing has just sat there with spider webs growing on it and dirt ALL over it. I feel like screaming at him to do something lol, but I want to keep my job and my rover. You might try disconnecting and cleaning the MAF. These links below might assist you in your diagnosis.

http://www.rangerovers.net/rremedies.htm#stalling
http://www.rangerovers.net/rremedies.htm#starthard

Old 09-24-2009, 08:41 AM
7th Gear

Thanks for the response,

Wires and plugs are fairly new the owner before me had just changed them out when i bought it 3 months ago. in regards of fuel, the pump seem to be working fine but never hurts to check pressure.

Handsome Rob, I think you might have a point on the O2 sensor. Can this sensor cause for the car not turn on at all if it’s bad? Cranks but doesn’t turn on. Is there more than one O2 sensor? I had a previous car that had two, just want to make sure I don’t miss one.

Once again this forum is a great source of good info and good people with solid Rover info.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it start and run fine initially? If it is stalling out when it is warmed up, thats usually a sign of an 02 sensor problem. I know there are 2 o2 sensors on mine, at least 2.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:52 AM
7th Gear

Yes it usually starts right up with no problem and after running for a while and coming to a stop the RPM's start studering lower and lower, it seems to try to recover and them just dies. My concern is that once its off I have a hard time turning it back on, as mentioned somtimes i cant get it going again and have to tow it back.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I think there is just 2 of them. Mine would start fine and then kinda randomly when it was warm it would stumble lose power then die. I think it really was that the O2 sensors were not working at all and then when they thought they wanted to work it would send a weird signal and then the truck would die. If I let it sit and cool downthen it would start just fine.

Do you know when they were replaced last? A lot of owners overlook them and never replace them. You may not even get a check engine light when it happens either.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:14 PM
7th Gear

I dont know when they where they where replaced. I found one on the passenger side exhaust, where is the other ? is it one per maniful?

Old 09-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

There is another tucked up on the drivers side, it will probably be right after the collector.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:42 PM
7th Gear

WOW two sensor at $120 each. this is costly... Thanks Rob for the Help. I will place update once they have been installed.

Quick Reply: Stalling and More!!