General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck and missing tappets & pushrods 95 p38

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 01:19 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck and missing tappets & pushrods 95 p38

So my 1995 Range Rover is running terrible. I've read about the sticking exhaust valves and decided to take a look. On the right side (facing front) we took off the valve cover. It took a minute to notice the obvious... two push rods were gone. Exhaust valve push rods on cylinders 2 and 6. We looked in and could see the tappet on cylinder 2 was stuck fairly high up and the cylinder 6 was missing. We took out another push rod and fitted it in both to make sure.

I've searched the forum and read about other Land Rover models but couldn't find anything about the Range. So, on this 4.0L engine, does anyone have any ideas of what might have happened and how to fix it.

For background, soon before this started running poorly there was some fiberglass? that came out of the tailpipe. My brother in law had it then so I don't know for sure or how much came out. Maybe was this from overheating and seizing the tappets/push rods?

I think I read in a D2 thread about taking off the intake manifold. Is this possible on this engine or is it better to take off the cylinder head? Also I'm guessing I will need to take off the oil pan maybe to retrieve the lost/broken parts? And maybe could it be cam trouble that I might need to get into that?

Lots of questions... thanks for the help

Old 10-30-2012, 06:07 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

well the fiberglass blowing out of the tailpipe has nothing to do with it, that is you muffer falling apart.
You will probablly end up doing the top end (valve job, cam, lifter and push rods).
Rarey can thing bounce around inside a valve cover and not bend somthing else.
Yes; you should drop the pan to pull out any thing that made it way threw an oil return.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:00 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If the lifters are seized that means the oil pressure stopped working and you probably need a pump along with new lifters and rockers.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:30 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
If the lifters are seized that means the oil pressure stopped working and you probably need a pump along with new lifters and rockers.
Thanks for your quick replies.

That would help explain the dryish burnt oil look under the valve covers. I see some sludgy material up in there too. Ok, so I'll at least need to drop the pan to clean the uptake and check/replace the pump.

Plus of course the valve job, cam and lifters.

Anything I'm missing, easy ways to do these things, or things I should do while I'm in there?

Old 11-01-2012, 07:38 AM
Baja

check and see if the lifters are siezed, it may not be. that could be where it came to stop after the cam lobe hit it for the last time.

"dryish burnt oil look under the valve covers. I see some sludgy material up in there too" that could be signs of poor maintenance or and over heat, when there is no coolant the oil just bakes when it get to the top end.

Last edited by drowssap; 11-01-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Arte are looking at a major overhaul and it may be cheaper to buy a good used engine and start over. You will probably find damage to your rings, all the bearings and crank from metal going thru the oil system.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:47 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Arte are looking at a major overhaul and it may be cheaper to buy a good used engine and start over. You will probably find damage to your rings, all the bearings and crank from metal going thru the oil system.
I'm beginning to think this might be the way to go.

Originally Posted by drowssap
check and see if the lifters are seized, it may not be. that could be where it came to stop after the cam lobe hit it for the last time.
One is definitely seized. I got another pushrod and seated it on the lifter, it was higher than the valve cover and wouldn't push in at all. The other is surely missing as the pushrod will go further than I can safely push it in.

I think I will go for finding another engine and swapping it out. Maybe then I can tear this one down an keep the good bits as spares.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Baja

where are you located?

Old 11-03-2012, 01:13 AM
4th Gear

Boise, Idaho