General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

temporary fix?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 04:34 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question temporary fix?

Ladies & Gents,

It is I again. I purchased a "Oils Leak Sealer" until I can afford to get my in the shop and checked & repaired. Have any of you done this before? is this Ok to do, till I can get some Green backs? I have not applied it to the engine yet...I would like to get some reassurance first

Old 09-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

For what vehicle, what sort of a leak and what brand of sealant?

Old 09-30-2011, 04:47 PM
4wd Low

this: Bar's Leaks Engine Oil Stop Leak

1999 RR 4.0 Sport.

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
For what vehicle, what sort of a leak and what brand of sealant?

Old 09-30-2011, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

How much oil are you leaking? And is it a leak or are you burning it out the tail pipe (rings or head gasket) or is it going into the coolant (head gasket)? If you leaked out say 1 quart every week, your back door would have oil residue on it, but you would be better off to just keep filling it up every few days until you can get it fixed. Oil is pretty cheap. For reference, the factory spec on a W124 series Mercedes acceptable oil consumption is not more than 1 liter per 1000 kilometers, or a little over a quart in 620 miles. If making repeated fills, still change filters and oil on regualr interval.

Oil leak sealer is preferred to head gasket and radiator sealer. Most of the oil seal products work by introducing a chemical solvent that causes rubber and similar products to swell slightly. One that has gotten good reviews on this site is "White Shepard", which is about $20, once installed you need to drive for two hours.

But - if your oil leaks are around the valve covers, just tighten them up with an 8mm 12 point socket (every oil change).

Oil seal fixer won't hurt you too much. Tranny fixers that work on the same technique swell the small rubber parts, which then wear out even faster. Radiator and head gasket sealers select any crevice and jam it with gunk, so more radiator and thermostat problems can rapidly follow.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:01 PM
4wd Low

nothing out the tail pipe, it looks to be a bad gasket which this product say helps. Bar's Leaks Engine Oil Stop Leak the oil leak is a few drips, i checked my stick the other day and it appers to be good still. I just want to stop the small leak for now.

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
How much oil are you leaking? And is it a leak or are you burning it out the tail pipe (rings or head gasket) or is it going into the coolant (head gasket)? If you leaked out say 1 quart every week, your back door would have oil residue on it, but you would be better off to just keep filling it up every few days until you can get it fixed. Oil is pretty cheap. For reference, the factory spec on a W124 series Mercedes acceptable oil consumption is not more than 1 liter per 1000 kilometers, or a little over a quart in 620 miles. If making repeated fills, still change filters and oil on regualr interval.

Oil leak sealer is preferred to head gasket and radiator sealer. Most of the oil seal products work by introducing a chemical solvent that causes rubber and similar products to swell slightly. One that has gotten good reviews on this site is "White Shepard", which is about $20, once installed you need to drive for two hours.

But - if your oil leaks are around the valve covers, just tighten them up with an 8mm 12 point socket (every oil change).

Oil seal fixer won't hurt you too much. Tranny fixers that work on the same technique swell the small rubber parts, which then wear out even faster. Radiator and head gasket sealers select any crevice and jam it with gunk, so more radiator and thermostat problems can rapidly follow.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

Which gasket do you think is involved?

Old 10-01-2011, 05:44 AM
4wd Low

The oil pan gasket.
Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Which gasket do you think is involved?

Old 10-01-2011, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Try that or White Shepard, but IMHO the oil leak seems like cosmetic. You can put a piece of clean cardboard under the truck overnight and get a feel for how much is going out. Some guys can't stand a drip on their side of the garage floor, others are happy with that small portion. I don't understand the concept of a non-leaky Disco, it's just not British. But my view is from the final owner of a 97, a guy who dropped $80K on one of the newer ones has a different view.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Rock Crawling

I would NOT use any product like that to fix "a few drops." It can easily do more harm than good. Range Rovers are like Harleys, they aren't leaking oil, they are marking their territory. I don't think I could trust a Rover that didn't leak some. For what it's worth you can fix it yourself for about $5. I had to pull my pan for a different job and just bought a tube of RTV High Temp silicone and made a new gasket. It has been 2 years and it hasn't leaked a drop (from the pan at least.)

Old 10-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Overlanding
Default Related but fix for coolant in cylinder #6

Let me know if I hijjacked this topic. Seems close to the topic

Any chance a leak of coolant into cylinder #6 could be sealed by the sodium silicate (water glass). I replaced the head gasket twice and placed head studs on the second attempt. Used a newly decked head on attempt one and a totally rebuilt head on attempt two. Could it be a crack in the block or a warped block? I have my old radiator and thermostat so i could flush the system, run the water glass, flush again and refit the new rad and thermo. Ideas?

Problem is with Rangie Bosch used engine replacing the original 1999 engine after a slipped liner.

Quick Reply: temporary fix?