General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranfer case removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:36 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranfer case removal

I'm about to change out my transfer chain (97 RR 4.6).
Fairly mechanical, air tools and jacks at hand.
Is there any pics, step-by-step instructions for this?
Exactly which bolts, cables, sensors, order,etc..

I just want to make sure I do not add any more work than needed to do this.

Thanks in advance!

Eric

Old 01-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't seen a step by step procedure for this. However, the service manual will really help you visualize how to do it. Download it here: http://green-oval.com/joomla/index.p...d=13&Itemid=29

Old 01-21-2010, 06:48 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the reply.
I have found no detailed pics about this either. I find it strange that many sites other than Land Rover have step by step instructions. I use e38.org for my other vehicle and it is really impressive w/ it's content.
Any other replies are appreciated and I will look at the website and post my findings.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:13 AM
Pro Wrench

The service manual does give a very detailed break down of the transfer case. I would be comfortable doing it with just the information provided by it. What exactly is wrong with the transfer case? Grinding noise, won't shift into LO etc...

Old 01-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Drifting

It is making the "ratcheting sound" under acceleration. Pretty sure that is the culprit. Found the chain itself online in the U.K. (original part #) for 1/2 of the asking in the U.S. Thought I might try this myself since I'm fairly handy.

I couldn't get the Green oval to open. the file was too large. I will have to find some software to open it. Will keep you informed.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Pro Wrench

You need to burn it to a disc. It should be a .iso file, you will need to tell the burning program to "burn image to disc" not just the actual file itself. The chain going out on these is fairly common, and usually doesn't take too much to repair.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Drifting
Default Chain replacement

hello fellas. I have removed and opened the transfer case. I will hopefully get some pics up of this operation before long.
I have a question 1st tho:
I have the old chain off, however, the new chain is too tight to go back on the way it came off.
Is there a tensioner or some special tool that I need to put back on the new chain. This is the exact chain replacement w/ the same links. Since the new one is not stretched out, I cannot get it over the 2 gears.
Am I missing something? Has anyone else been through this to give me some insight?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Rock Crawling

I have never done this particular job, but I can tell you that there is a tool designed to stretch two links of a chain together. I have used one before but I can't remember exactly what it is called.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Drifting

I knew there had to be something going on. The Rave mentions nothing of a tool for the chain. It made it sound like it is somewhat simple and made me feel like a dumba**.
If anyone knows the name of this tool I would appreciate it. If you do know the tool, is it expensive? Would I be better off loading up the case and taking it to a place that would possibly put on the chain?

Thanks again for all input.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Rock Crawling

Took me a while to remember, but it is called a chain puller. They are fairly cheap. About $20.00

Quick Reply: Tranfer case removal