General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transferbox Neutral Error - Sensor Location

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transferbox Neutral Error - Sensor Location

After doing a good bit of research on the internet, I'm convinced that my transferbox neutral error message is being triggered by the sensor/wire connected to the transferbox is coming loose and needs to be re-connected. My trouble is that I don't know where this wire is. If anyone knows or has another idea as to why I might be getting the random message, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jason

The following users liked this post:
twilli21 (04-23-2021)
Old 11-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's exactly what was wrong with mine when I was getting the transfer box neutral message. Dealer reconnected it so I won't be able to tell you where it is
sorry. Did u check the rAve manual?

Old 11-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sysroute, what year of rover are you driving? Both the L322 and P38 range rover have similar messages appear in information display.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Three Wheeling

03' Range Rover

Old 11-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Three Wheeling

I'm also downloading the RAVE manual now. Thanks for the tip.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Mine does not show up in the message display but it keeps giving me a check engine light and the code is for the transfer box neutral switch. I have not investigated it but I bet it is just the connector on the TC itself, a clean and some dielectric grease would probably do the trick.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Three Wheeling

I downloaded the RAVE manual but it did not offer me a search option. I do not know where to go to find the location of the wire connected to the transfer case.

Also, I took the truck to a Road Britannia to have a noise inspected. It turned out to be the sway bar link which they replaced. This was caused from me replacing the strut and messing up the bearings on the link in the process. That problem is solved. They also looked at the transfer case error and said that it is due to the transfer case shift motor hanging up. They quoted $2,250 to replace the motor. I still think it is an issue with the wire as the error is intermittent. Any thoughts?

They also noted the check engine light was coming on due to a small evap leak and cat aging. I just had a new cat put on when LR offered the recall on the cat. Not sure what to think about that.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Three Wheeling

No ideas here?

Old 11-24-2009, 11:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, can you shift into low? All the time or only sometimes? It could be just that the sensor connector has a bad connection and should either be cleaned or replaced. If it is the transfer case motor then I know you can get one for a lot less from a wrecking yard.

If it is shifting all the time just fine then I am willing to bet it is not the motor. I would check the sensor. If I remember it is just at the back but sort of at the top of the transfer case.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try chapter 41. my copy of the rave has a picture on 41-6 and 41-7 in the service proceedures portion of the manual. if you still can't find it let me know and i will post a pic.

Quick Reply: Transferbox Neutral Error - Sensor Location