General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibrating question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 08:45 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibrating question

[sm=feedback.gif] Whenever I am making a turn, may it be right or left, the wheel vibrates, well feels like the entire front end is shaking. Does anyone know what could be the cause of it?? I was told at first it was the tires, bought four new ones and it is still doing the same thing! Got it balanced.. same thing! Any answer would be appreciated.. [sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 12-15-2005, 01:08 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: Vibrating question

I know what you mean, mine does the same thing except that while shaking it also sounds like steel cables are being tangled or pulled incorrectly. I always just ignored it but it does sit in the back of my mind however. I am interested in knowing also what this is and if its normal. I have a 2002 Range Rover 4.6hse.. Thanks

Old 12-29-2005, 05:33 PM
Drifting

I take it noone knows anything about this issue.. oh well! Thnx for nothing!!

Old 12-29-2005, 08:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle

is it only while braking and turning? (bent rotor?)

do you need alignment do to bad camber? + or - or pigeon toed?

Old 12-29-2005, 11:51 PM
Drifting

Its only while I'm turning, I had wheel alignment done when I bought four new tires for it.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:19 AM
Three Wheeling

You should indicate the year of you RR. If it an '03 or newer, this is a known problem. See http://rangerovers.net/rrmkiiiremedies.html#steervibe if you are interested. Can't help if we don't know the specifics.

Old 12-31-2005, 02:55 AM
Drifting

Its a 96 RR. I'll take it in to the stealership on wednesday and have them look into it for me. I have been told different stories by different mechs... [:@]

Old 12-31-2005, 11:31 PM
Winching

Sorry to hear of your incorrect diagnosis.
have them look into it for me.
Thank God for the stealership

Old 01-01-2006, 12:14 AM
Three Wheeling

I think there RR owners should start using an LTD index (Length of Time to Dealership) when discussing RR problems, i.e. "immediately," "give it a week," or "get use to it." There don't seem to be more than a handful of examples of RR owners fixing problems themselves. We typically discuss it, then determine that it should go to the dealer. Different questions, same answer.

Old 01-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Winching

"LTD" LOL !

All kidding aside. Sam, you purchased a luxury SUV made in England. It is like no other in the States. Very few independent shops know much about them. Unfortunately you sound like you have had bad experiences at Domestic Dealerships. I understand and have had the same experience. LR Dealers are different. They care about customer service. Don't believe me, ask current owners. Very few will say they had a bad experience with the dealer. Many may say they were not happy with the vehicle, but not with the dealer.

Vibration. My guess is that the dealer will tell you the viscous coupler in the transfer box is bad. This allows the front and rear drive shaft to turn at different speeds around turns. The coupler alone is $1700.00 US if I remember correctly. If you have over 60K I would recommend a factory rebuilt t-box, $2,500.00 I think. So for a hundred bucks you might have gotten a proper diag ? Sometimes you get what you pay for ? Sometimes not.

Quick Reply: Vibrating question