General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird HVAC problem..........

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 03:11 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird HVAC problem..........

I've read about the fan switch, the resistor, etc. And from what I can tell, my problem doesn't handily fit into either of these problems (at least what the common symptoms are).

So--pay attention here--A/C fan works correctly on all speeds. On any other setting the fan works as followsff is off. Speed 1 is speed 1 but switching to 2 or 3 the fan spins at the same speed/does not go faster. If I drive 70+mph the fan will speed up to full speed (speed 3) and remain at that speed even after I have come to a stop. So now it works normally. But if i'm stopped and switch it to 1 and then back to 3 it slows to 1 but will not go back to 3.

Usually--from past experiences with other cars--if the fan motor is bad, it either won't spin at all or it will spin at all speeds once you get it going and will only get jammed up if it comes to a complete stop again. This condition where it spins no problem at speed 1 but won't hit 2 or 3 has me confused. I put in a new/junk yard switch and it works the same and the resistor pack symptoms seem incongruent with this problem.

So, what's the problem here? Bad motor, bad switch (2 of them), or resistor pack?