General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

03 Land Rover Discovery 2 won't start only crank

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 06:40 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Land Rover Discovery 2 won't start only crank

So I just bought my DISCO2 HSE7 In Feb haven't had a lot of problems other than routine maintenance, had to replace the starter and need to replace the ignition coil due to breaking my key off in it (managed to get it out myself and get a key made that will start it but just gotta wiggle it etc) anyhow so I drive it this morning w no issues then I go back out to start to leave again and it won't start, it cranks just won't start, sounds like it's not getting gas basically but has gas in the tank of course. I've read all these forums etc and each one seem to mostly say either the crankshaft sensor or fuel pump but how can I know on my own which it could be? I don't like having to blindly buy parts and not be sure also I read about an inertia switch and I did find it I believe (located infront of passenger seat basically under the hood attached to the back wall?) so I pressed it cause it's like a button basically and then tried to start and nothing and it may have been pressed twice bc then after 2nd time pressing it my hazard signals came on and would not go off until I disconnected the battery and so that was strange. So any suggestions of where to go from here? Amy info much appreciated!

Old 06-15-2017, 08:24 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check crank position sensor

Old 06-15-2017, 11:41 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Bacartis
Hey, are you sure it's not a battery? Also check all those basic stuff before jumping into a starter. It's one of the reasons I'm switching to deals on lease now, rather get my brand new DSRLeasing car than be stucked worrying, but good luuck fixing that mate!
Yes I just replaced the starter a cpl wks ago and battery was checked that's why I'm thinking from all the other ones I read it's either the fuel pump or the crankshaft sensor :-/

Old 06-15-2017, 11:42 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jlrvkohl
Okay going to start there before going to fuel pump. How can you check it like to tell if it's bad?

Old 06-16-2017, 09:58 AM
Overlanding

i just had this same issue with my 02' disco with it cranking but not starting. i changed my spark plugs and it started up just fine. i bought a Crank position sensor just incase but the plug change did the trick. changing my wires as soon as i receive them... not saying this is your case. Just a suggestion.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:29 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by bombatape
i just had this same issue with my 02' disco with it cranking but not starting. i changed my spark plugs and it started up just fine. i bought a Crank position sensor just incase but the plug change did the trick. changing my wires as soon as i receive them... not saying this is your case. Just a suggestion.
okay thank you would be nice bc as of now I cannot find where the CPS is even located 🤦*♀️ I've watched videos and diagrams but they all don't actually show from afar view to see where they are working it.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:54 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jlrvkohl
where is it located do you know? I cannot find it

Old 06-16-2017, 06:44 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Meldav32
okay thank you would be nice bc as of now I cannot find where the CPS is even located 🤦*♀️ I've watched videos and diagrams but they all don't actually show from afar view to see where they are working it.
another reason why i went back to the plugs. i couldnt find the damn thing LOL. newb status<-----

Old 06-17-2017, 04:51 PM
Mudding

So I got the crankshaft sensor and BAM she started! Was first part I tried from reading all these forums and turns out it was my problem too. But now lol I got another question...I was putting code into the radio/navigation system and got locked out bc I couldn't find a "back" button or delete the previous # button so guess I attempted too many times now there's a lil dude holding up 6 fingers saying code lock. How long will it be before I can try again?

Old 06-17-2017, 04:53 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by bombatape
another reason why i went back to the plugs. i couldnt find the damn thing LOL. newb status<-----
lol well it was my problem: she is fixed so if you need to know ever lol just msg me bc I did find and successfully changed.

Quick Reply: 03 Land Rover Discovery 2 won't start only crank