General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

03 SE7 Disco 2 OVERHEATING

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 08:32 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 SE7 Disco 2 OVERHEATING

Hello...

I'd like to start out with I'm super new to the Land Rover world and have quickly realized that these things are very maticulous and require an extreme amount of upkeep.

With that said, I'm a pretty mechanically inclined individual and could take apart and fix just aboutb anything. I'm a pilot in the U.S. Army so my time to work on her is a bit limited to literally a Saturday.

So here's my issue and I'll do my best to describe everything.

Bought the truck about a month agai with 143k miles on it. Drove it home and noticed that it was leaking a little bit of oil. Tried to trace down the leak and couldn't find it. A friend of mine suggested the crank shaft seal so I replaced that. Didn't fix my issue. So from there I started getting a a coolant leak. I decided to replace the front timing cover seal. So. I bought the water pump gasket, the front timing cover gasket, an oil pan gasket, and a new front crankshaft seal. Completed that and got it all buttoned up and finished. During this process I realized that the small nipple coming from the thermostat to water pump hose has cracked and deteriorated. Ordered that and replaced it. Added oil. When doing this I noticed I was getting a small oil leak that I had been looking for was actually coming from my valve covers. I righted those bolts down as they were lose and boom oil leak stopped. Added coolant. Fired it up and it ran at idle, fine! Started out of the drive way and she started over heating. Pulled it back into the garage turned it off and now typing this.

Could anyone provide any insight in what my actually be my problem please? Thank you!

Old 03-11-2017, 07:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I'd try to bleed the system again. You may have trapped air in there. They are super finicky about that.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:36 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Shift is correct, also The fact that it instantly overheated makes me think your hose routing for the thermostat could be off, specifically the 2 top ones, could be switched?

Old 03-11-2017, 08:58 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
Shift is correct, also The fact that it instantly overheated makes me think your hose routing for the thermostat could be off, specifically the 2 top ones, could be switched?
Thanks for the replies! I'll bleed the system again. That dang bleed screw is junk! lol I went to twist it and it just tore the grooves up so I couldn't turn it. Also, I'll double check the pluming to and from the thermostat...however, I only took one hose off when replacing the old one. I honestly think that after waking up and realizing I didn't bleed the system right/perhaps not adding enough coolant could be culprit. Thanks gents! I'll get back to you with an update!

Old 03-11-2017, 10:33 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Well, then it's got to be the bleed!