General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'06 RR - scraping noise while making left turn

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 10:47 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 RR - scraping noise while making left turn

Hi there -

I have an '06 Range Rover with 125K on it. Six months ago I moved cross country and had the car shipped. Our house has epoxy finish on the garage floor (first time I've had that), and I noticed a very small leak. Brought it to the new dealer right away (my main concern was that the shipping company damaged it because it seemed like the driver had messed with the suspension to get it fit on the bottom row of the truck). They said it was residual from recent oil change. Sounded fine enough. they were out of loaners, and car was serviced the week before I shipped it, so I left.

But it never stopped. Then two months ago I heard a scraping (perhaps grinding, but it was more of scrape. Almost like the sound the side of a plastic sled would make scraping along icy crunchy snow - that's the best I can come up with right now anyway).

I kept thinking it was dropping down on one side - maybe passenger side. It was very slight if it was happening at all. It also seemed to be making a funny almost faint helicopter like noise right after I started driving it in the morning. (I thought similar to a wheel bearing - only one has been replaced so far). That sound would go away after less than a mile or so. So I told them about that, the scrape noise and the fluid leak. They said differential - replaced the O ring, the front brushings, and apparently the damper.

Labor on the differential work was an insane amount... the leak must have been coming from the O ring, because it stopped. So that's great. But the car didn't seem to drive all that differently after the brushings etc were replaced. I still sort of heard the helicopter like noise just as I drove down my street. Then it stopped. I

Then yesterday I made a left turn - was going about 25/30mph at the time and I heard the scraping noise again. I pulled onto a side street and tried to replicate the noise without any luck. Then I headed into an appointment for about 20 min. I was convinced the front end had dropped a few inches while I was inside. I drove the car home without issue and the car seemed fine when I pulled into the garage.

This morning the front end might be slightly lower - but it's hard to say for sure.

Does anyone have any idea what this noise could be?

I'd love to trust the dealer, but the service advisor I had for my last visit absolutely tried to scam me on brakes - she told me it was a Land Rover policy that the rotors must be replaced when replacing brake pads - no matter how worn the pads are. The car is an 06, I've moved four times.... i have every single service record, and it was never a Land Rover policy before lady. So my confidence/trust level in their honesty and capabilities is very low right now.

Any help is greatly appreciated.