General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 Discovery Stalls and won't restart

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Discovery Stalls and won't restart

Today My disco 1994 with 159,350 miles on it started to become possessed.

It stalled and then would not start up right away unless I waited a while... 10 minutes.
Then on the way home it stalled again and then would not restart at all. To the point GEICO roadside assist had to tow it back home for me. UGH the joys of being stranded for 2 hours in the dark by the side of the road.

At any rate I noticed it has been harder to start it (More turns before it catches) once the key is turned.

Odd as after my last go around with mystery stalls it ran great for over a week with barely a hiccup.... (WTF?)....

So I am not sure what to do now.... It only reads code 19 which it has done for the 2 months I have owned the truck So where can I start..... I was told last time to check fuel pressure..?..... Which it started running right so I never got to it.....

One more thing tonight after dinner I go out and it started right up (Double WTF?)
Do I need a priest or just troubleshoot XYZ????

I love my rover just not on a Flat bed LOL

Thanks guys

Old 12-28-2007, 08:50 AM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: 1994 Discovery Stalls and won't restart

i have the same prob, how dose it idle?

to get mine to fire up i pull the distributor sig wire to the ecu and spin the engine over for a sec to clear it, hook the dizzy back up, wait 2 min, then she fires right up

Old 12-28-2007, 09:11 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

When did you last change your fuel filte? Now would be a good time to see if you have much fuel/pressure at the fuel rail.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Drifting

Fuel filter is probably due... I have done 2300 miles on the truck thus far and from the looks of everything else I have already replaced (LOL)

The prior owner did not do anything but put gas in it.
I think when I get back from my New years trip I will change the fuel filter out and report back.
Probably simple because prior to this it ran great for two weeks and I began to get a swelled head about my Newly found Land Rover repair prowess
(All of you can stop laughing at me now)

I love this truck and I feel like I am close to eliminating its demons.
One more question where is the fuel pump relay located?.... I am not hearing it "drop out" when I turn the key... Any ideas on cost and where I can pick it up???? and what kind it is

Thanks guys!!!!!

Old 12-29-2007, 09:29 AM
Administrator

You may be loosing a fuel pump so be prepared to buy one.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a distributor rotor that is anythig other than one purchased at the dealer replace it!! check you secondary ignition connections at the coil. may have a bad dist module.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Drifting

***UPDATE: I had the fuel filter changed out in Saturday (Finally) and It now starts up sooner than it was doing (Catches faster now). I drove the Rover all Saturday afternoon and then Drove it to work this morning (Monday) and it made it.... I will keep everyone posted.

So far so good

Now I just need to figure out why my truck idles erratically....(Dips between 750 and 500 at Red lights) Also is idling High upon startup

Old 01-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Time to now flush out the injectors, with either a can of Seafoam, Chevrons Techtron or best yet a can of B&G's 44K.
You may need to clean your MAF, but I would wait till you run a tank of high octane and injector cleaner thru it first.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Drifting

Looks like I spoke too soon......

Tonight on the way home from work after running fine for 30+ minutes it died without warning
or so much as a sputter. It just konked out on me.

I tried to restart but it would not fire up. Just cranks and cranks
As I write this I am waiting for a call from Roadside assist to tow it back to the house again.

Same thing it did to me 3 weeks ago....

What now? Thanks again for all the help in advance.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:19 AM
4wd Low

So, did you get that figured out yet? I'm curious, because I'm having similar problems. I have a check engine light, idle fluctuating, loss of power, sputtering, and it did stall once, but started right back up.

Quick Reply: 1994 Discovery Stalls and won't restart