General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1997 Land Rover 4.0 SE Radio problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 01:44 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Land Rover 4.0 SE Radio problems

I just got this and need to know where the amp. is located.
Radio comes on and all the functions seem to work except the speakers, all of them are ok but no sound. Trying to trace amp output and see if it is bad.

Also need process for taking Air Conditioning clutch coil off so I can replace it with new one.

Thanks for the help.
Sam Walker
New on the block....

Old 05-13-2014, 03:17 PM
Drifting

There is a tool for the AC clutch. The Clutch has a bolt and thick washer in the center when you remove it there is an AC clutch tool that pulls the clutch off. It screws into the center and pulls the clutch off. I have seen people butcher the clutch off with a claw puller but most times the clutch just blows apart. Check a brand name supplier like Snap/on or Mac tools. If there is an auto shop near you just ask any real mechanic they should have one or know where you can get it. Around here there are 3 branded tool trucks that come by one day a week I have one for each line of US car/truck most are the same but every now and then you run across a Robin Air aftermarket compressor that needs a different tool. Good luck and be careful of the front shaft seal if you tap the clutch with a hammer chances are your going to blow the input shaft seal.

Last edited by 1999SE40; 05-13-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:32 PM
Drifting

Oh ya it only takes 2-3 minutes to pull the clutch once the belt and wire is off and the removal tool is also the installation tool that pushes the new clutch back on * be extra careful if it is a keyed shaft I have seen too many new guys push that key into the compressor and destroy it *. If you were local and walked into the shop someone here would help you out on break. Are you anywhere near the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel ?
I am having trouble with my radio too but it is a code issue. I tried all the tricks to put the code in but it will not take it ? If you hold the BND button and turn it on, it plays great for about 3 min. Then you start to hear a beep in the background and it will just shut off. This is my daughters ride so it has no down time. I have to hide the key so I can change the oil. I am having a hard time finding used parts too, there no junk yards from West New York to Newark on the Jersey side of NYC.

Last edited by 1999SE40; 05-13-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:52 PM
6th Gear
Thumbs up Thanks for the replys.

Is the clutch coil behind the clutch plate? I can get the tools to pull it at Auto zone for about $30. I am in North Florida and am a retired high reach service manager.

I take my time and will follow your advice about using the right tools. That is sound advice for sure. Parts are available for many things on Ebay and I have some sources for other parts. Price is the difficult part.

Can you tell me where the radio amplifier is located? Is it under the dash or seats some place?

Old 05-13-2014, 08:01 PM
6th Gear

The radio code on my 97 land rover installed easy after I pulled fuse F1 and waited ten seconds put it back in and entered the code using the buttons for channel selection.

That tells me I have a amp problem and found a replacement for $12 plus shipping. Replacement is from England and still in the box, new amp.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:49 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Did you find the amp? It's behind the glove box on the right side wall, silver and black.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:23 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Just curious, is the 4.0SE a Range Rover or Discovery. I get the feeling it's a Range Rover. If it is, you have a small amplifier in each door and one done on top of the subwoofer in your '97. I doubt all five amps died simultaneously.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:09 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

amp for my radio was under the passenger seat.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:18 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Yes, amplifiers for DI's are located either on the right side of the passenger footwell or under the passenger seat depending on when they were made. There is also an amplifier on the back of the subwoofer in the tailgate. I'd like confirmation the poster has a Discovery. Range Rover owners call their vehicles 4.0SE or 4.6HSE's. Most Discovery owners call their trucks DI's or Disco's not 4.0 SE.

Also, both the DI and P38 Range Rover (especially a '97) have security codes on their radios.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:19 PM
6th Gear

I have a Range Rover 4.0 SE and the Amplifier is not under the seat. What I think is that the feed to the Door Amps lack signal from the Radio. I want to check that feed out to see if the problem is bad connection from The Radio. Just could not find the Amp. But as you say there are amps in front doors and amp for sub woofer, lots to fail all at one time. I am looking for the common denominator and see If I can fix it.

I will call my 97 a 4.0SE from now on... lol...
using schematic from this site for trouble shooting.. great aid..

http://www.landy.ee/manuals/electric...RL0086ENG).pdf

Quick Reply: 1997 Land Rover 4.0 SE Radio problems