General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 Range Rover HSE EAS Problem HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 03:16 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Range Rover HSE EAS Problem HELP

I'm not sure what's going on with my RR. But about 4 days ago the EAS started acting up I'm not getting any warning lights but when I first start her up each morning she doesn't lift the front end only the rear and it usually takes anywhere from 10-45 minutes before it finally starts working proparly then the rest of the day it works flawlessly even after it sits the 9 hrs I'm at work. Just in the morning I'm having trouble today is the worst it actually hasn't lifted the front end yet. I'm wondering if it has to do with the cold since today we're having a pretty tough snow storm. Anyone have a similar issue with there RR?

Old 10-26-2006, 03:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1999 Range Rover HSE EAS Problem HELP

The EAS system is quite complex, with ride height sensors, a compressor/pump unit, valve block for distribution, a driver with solenoids, and the four air springs. The first step is to have someone with a scanner (Autologic or equiv.) pull the codes that are stored. This will point to a ride height sensor problem, for instance. Unfortunately, this scanner tool is only something a dealer or well-equipped independent shop will have.

So --- the "laziness" your vehicle is experiencing in the morning could be due to a leaking valve block, worn compressor, slightly leaking air bellows, a bad driver solenoid, etc.

If at all possible, try to get those codes, and I can give you better advice on where to start. I will be offering re-build kits on my web-site for the mechanical/pneumatic parts of the system---very soon.

These problems are what drives many to fit a coil conversion kit to their vehicles. But that costs between $1200-1500 at a shop (at least out here in California). The existing system can be fixed for considerably less by a knowledgeable owner/shop.

It has been my experience that the original airbags only last for 60-80K miles before developing small leaks.

Read my tech info pages at www.eurotekapg.com for a primer on the various systems on your vehicle.

Regards,

Geoman

Old 10-26-2006, 04:08 PM
7th Gear

I know the AutoZone by my house has OBD2 and OBD2B ECU Readers, will that work or will I need to go to a Land Rover Shop?

I'd like to keep the Air Suspension just for the funcionality of it I tend to use it regularly off road but also sometimes give my grandmother rides around and shes 5ft and has trouble getting into higher cars like my old 4Runner it was very difficult for her so the Load mode is very convienent. I've only owned the truck for a month now and it does have 85k miles on it so it's probably about due for some new airbags

Old 10-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Rock Crawling

The OBDII scanners can only read engine management codes. You have to find a shop with the Autologic, Rovacomm, or equiv. scanner that can query the BECM and other ECU's to get the suspension, and climate control, body electrics, etc. codes.

There is a chance that you have a sticking solenoid on the valve block/driver ---aggravated by the cold temps in the morning. But see if you can find a shop willing to pull the codes for a nominal fee and get back to us.

Geoman

Old 10-26-2006, 05:40 PM
7th Gear

Hey thanks for the help everyone there's a Independent land Rover mechanic that I use to use on my 94 Discovery that I'm gonna run by I'm hoping for the best. I'm really hoping it won't be anything to serious as I'm a little low on cash at this time of year. Hopefully its no more then two or three hundered dollars

Old 10-27-2006, 01:26 AM
Drifting

Howdy;

Had (have) almost the same problem with '99RR. About a month ago it started to be very slow to rise to standard height after being parked. The standard height LED would flash, like it does when it is in-between height settings and on the move. The thing is, the compressor will be running continuously during this. The system will self-level when parked (wake up to auto-level). I'm sure it is going to be the exhaust valve or another valve. This even though we just had the valve block assembly replaced at the dealer this spring[:@]. My wife urges me to go with the coil conversion every time the EAS hiccups but I too like the EAS features. I have sucked it up and purchased the Rovacom Lite system but have spent the last two weeks trying to get it to work. Not exceptionally user friendly to begin with, but that's a different story.

In the meantime, to get the truck up to driveable height, I McGyver'd an emergency air spring inflation system for about 20 bucks that works like a charm and will probably save my bacon someday while on a road trip in the middle of eastern Montana. I have a separate inflation valve and air line plumbed into each air spring's supply line. I'll try and attach come pics. Good Luck

Greg

[IMG]local://upfiles/4211/67ABDA3AFB034BC5BAFB40BA014A7AFF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4211/672D5CD8997642BBABAE88E052444EAB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-27-2006, 01:38 AM
Drifting

Sorry, forgot one thing. If it was behaving well until the first cold snap it may very well be one of the air springs itself. We've had the rear ones replaced because the microscopic leaks became prominent when the temp dropped. If you can, remove the relay which is under the driver's seat when you park it for the night. This will prevent it from waking up to self-level. In the morning if one corner is low that is the bad spring, or at least the portion of the system which has the leak. Here is a pic of the relay unplugged from its harness. It is possible to leave it unplugged and drive it as long as you'd like too. This will keep it from changing height, and especially will keep it from lowering when parked. It's just that you'll get the max 35mph warning.

Greg

[IMG]local://upfiles/4211/487E2DA4BEB2483F92ADA9D064930C65.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-27-2006, 05:21 PM
7th Gear

That emergency inflation system you put together looks like something I'm gonna have to maybe put together myself looks like something that might help me out down the road.
I took it in to a local Independent land rover shop they did an ecu check everythign came back good and then he did a basic over look of the entire EAS system and he found that my front passanger air bag has a very very minor leak he couldn't even find the leak but was able to do a test on it. He told me that I could get by giving me some tips like park it in access mode over night, etc. What I'm gonna do is do the 2nd Generation air bag upgrade I'm gonna just do the front for now and whne the rear go out I'll replace those . But he quoted $280 for the 2nd Gen Bags and $140 for labor (2hrs x $70ph) does that sound like a resonable price for that?

Old 10-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Rock Crawling

That is a very fair price. Your quoted labor rate is $55/hr less than here in Northern California.

Best of luck,

Geoman