General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 RR both front doors won't open

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 06:23 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 RR both front doors won't open

Hi group. Hoping someone can help me out. I see that there are some write ups on the door lock mechanisms failing, but I'm not sure if that is my problem. I'd hate the break them out and find out that I still have a problem.

Here's how it happened:

It's cold here in snow country and the door latch seemed to have gotten stuck or frozen where the door would not latch shut. The door would basically bounce back open after trying to slam it shut. Out of frustration and shear stupidity, I pushed the plunger down and then shut the door. Well, that worked and also locked the rest of the vehicle with the motor running. A local rover shop told me the best way to get in was to break the rear quarter glass. I did that and in hindsight I've learned that you can pop that glass out without breaking it.. Anyways, the glass is now the least of my worries as the drivers door won't open from the insider either. Ok, so I get out of the vehicle through the passenger door. Opened the door, got out and shut it and now that one is permanently locked too. I can still get in and out through the rear doors. If I pull up on either front door lock plunger, the car sends the signal to unlock the rest of the doors, but it's obvious that I cannot pull the front door lock plungers up far enough and they fall back down and re-locks everything. Sure seems like it's stuck in super-lock mode. The local dealership said I can un-superlock it by unlocking the car twice in a row with the key. That doesn't seem to work and I'm at a loss. I don't have the keyfob. I could order a keyfob if there is some hope that it will unlock the car, but it might be just another shot in the dark. Any other ideas? Reading through the manual it appears that there is a procedure to enter a code with the key, but of course I don't have the code. I'll call the dealer tomorrow to see if they can get it for me and then I can try that procedure. Otherwise, I'm at a total loss. Any ideas!?!?

Last edited by Rev Engineer; 01-05-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Overlanding

Pull the positive lead to the battery and then try pulling up on the plungers, when you feel it is all the way up, pull the handle.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:36 PM
4wd Low

I tried that along with a bunch of other stuff. When I unlock with the key, the rear door plungers pop all the way up while the fronts only pop up a little and then everything immediately re-locks. I get the rear doors open when the plunger pops up and I quickly pull the handle. The rear hatch always remains locks.

So, I decided to take it down to the diy car wash to get all of the snow off it it so I could run the garage heater without forming a small lake on the floor. After I finished washing it, I heard a little pop and everything unlocked! Go figure, I don't know what really happened. Off to find a replacement rear quarter glass...