General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2" Lift vs. 3" lift

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 10:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2" Lift vs. 3" lift

With all of the previous posts concerning "lifting a Disco" I'm sure this one has been ask. But I can't find it. If you knows where it is, please direct me.

If not, here's the simple (?) question "What's the cost of the additional 1" in the lift - 2" vs. a 3" lift?"

I understand that the drive shaft/train can be/is a problem, but I'm not skilled enough to know.

Asked another way "Is it worth the time, effort an $$$ for one more inch???" This is not meant as a question for the females.

The following users liked this post:
Jade Dockery (07-05-2019)
Old 12-30-2013, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

It's not the size of the lift but how you use it....

Ok seriously it depends on what your going to be doing with it. If it's mainly for looks then 2" all the way.

If your using the truck for off road, in 75% of what you do a well armored and thought out DII with a 2" lift will get you there.

I decided against even lifting my 110 as it provides plenty of clearance in stock form. I think it would be a waste other than to look cool, for the wheeling I've done over the years.

These trucks in stock form will out perform most of the people driving them.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
It's not the size of the lift but how you use it....

Ok seriously it depends on what your going to be doing with it. If it's mainly for looks then 2" all the way.

If your using the truck for off road, in 75% of what you do a well armored and thought out DII with a 2" lift will get you there.

I decided against even lifting my 110 as it provides plenty of clearance in stock form. I think it would be a waste other than to look cool, for the wheeling I've done over the years.

These trucks in stock form will out perform most of the people driving them.
A friend of mine told me... Basically the same thing.

Looks like February will be my time to do the "Old Man's" lift. Just enough to get me comfy and able to add my sliders.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally just purchased a used Landy less than two months ago. I have also been trying to decide on what kind of lift to go with. Personally, I camp in the summer and ski in the winter. I will not be doing major rock climbing or extreme off road so I'm going with 2" and taking my factory 18 wheels to 16s. Keep us updated on what you do.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

To post is in general tech help so I'm not sure what vehicle you are in.

I put a 3" lift on my Disco II (Springs, extended brake lines, and extended shocks) and haven't regretted it. Nothing changed except the steering is slower to return to center.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:49 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much further do the extended lines need to be than the stock lines? I am doing a 2" lift and there's a place I like to have custom stainless steel brake hoses made and I just need to tell him how many inches to add to the length of the lines.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by RSPTex
how much further do the extended lines need to be than the stock lines? I am doing a 2" lift and there's a place I like to have custom stainless steel brake hoses made and I just need to tell him how many inches to add to the length of the lines.
If you're lifting your truck 2" then your lines should be at least 2" longer. But shock travel will also play a role in your brake line length. If you run extended travel shocks(11 or 12") then you'll probably want longer lines. My lines are 25" long and ran me about $91 shipped for a set of four.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:52 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just went out with string and measuring lip of top fitting to center of caliper fitting, I have numbers! Stock Brake line Lengths are 15" for the Back and 21" for the Front.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:38 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by RSPTex
Just went out with string and measuring lip of top fitting to center of caliper fitting, I have numbers! Stock Brake line Lengths are 15" for the Back and 21" for the Front.
If this helps at all I have a 3 inch TF lift with another 1 inch puck under each spring perch for a total of four inches and I have stock +4 inch brake lines. There is no problem with tires off the ground (but I leave my sway bars on) . Also, be considerate of your ABS lines. I did not extend them but did free them from keepers and re route as necessary and, again, no problems.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:41 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When it comes to tow hitches bigger is better. Most hitch accessories are more likely to fit a 2" receiver.

Quick Reply: 2" Lift vs. 3" lift