General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Discovery II Electrical problems! HELP! Headlights!! BCU?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 12:31 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Discovery II Electrical problems! HELP! Headlights!! BCU?

Could someone please HELP ME?!? I've been trying to find out whats going on with my car and I'm loosing my mind! I don't know if its the bcu or fuse box or something simple. I would really really appreciate any advice!!!

The most important thing I need to get fixed asap are my headlights. 3 nights ago my headlights stopped working (high and low) but the high beam light on dashboard is on. The next day my lights worked but the drivers side was super dim and the passenger side was bright. Last night the lights went out and the high beam light was back on the dash. Today I checked all the light fuses and relays and still no lights!

Other problems but not as important
-The wipers stick when on the lowest setting
-Drivers side seat heater is not working
-Keyless entry not working on driver side front and back but works fine on the other 3 doors
-it looks like one of the lights is out on the dash
-sometimes i can hear a pop or crackle sound in the stereo speakers and sometimes the stereo gets all scrambled.

Thank you so much!!!

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Discovery II Electrical problems! HELP! Headlights!! BCU?-photo1.jpg   2000 Discovery II Electrical problems! HELP! Headlights!! BCU?-photo-2.jpg   2000 Discovery II Electrical problems! HELP! Headlights!! BCU?-photo-3.jpg  
Old 05-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It is a known problem for the fuse box to get cracked and short everything out.
If that is the problem you will need to buy a used one, new ones are very expensive.
I do not know how to check for cracks.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:17 AM
7th Gear

Thanks spike555!!!! I got it working!!!

Old 05-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

What was the problem?
How did you fix it?

Old 05-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm also interested

Old 07-16-2011, 06:05 PM
2nd Gear
Default exact same problem

Hi, i am having the exact same problem with my 2001 discovery II Headlights being off but the bright dash light being on. I am unsure of exactly what I have to do in terms of changeing out the fuse box. Do I have to pull out the entire box that all of the fuses go in or is there just a large fuse that needs to change. sorry for the stupid question

Old 07-17-2011, 03:47 AM
7th Gear

Hey dannysofa! Not a stupid question at all!! The answer sounds stupid lol but no joke it works!! All you need 2 do is Wiggle the wires on the headlights!! The headlights get hot and after time and melt the wire connectors. If that's the problem new connectors are like $3. Good luck!!!

Old 07-17-2011, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

So head lights wire connections caused all these other gremlins in the first post?

Old 07-17-2011, 08:08 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by corpseinc
Hey dannysofa! Not a stupid question at all!! The answer sounds stupid lol but no joke it works!! All you need 2 do is Wiggle the wires on the headlights!! The headlights get hot and after time and melt the wire connectors. If that's the problem new connectors are like $3. Good luck!!!
There is more going on there. Those connectors don't melt down or need to be shaken to work. What head lights are in there now, may be drawing too much power for the harness?
Let us know when you are ready to tackle the 3 Amigos.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

And bulb filaments have a nasty habit of buring up into two parts, then you tap or wiggle it with power on and the filament touches back together, in a minature arc weld, and starts working again, maybe even a little brighter. But it is drawing more current than before because the filament is now shorter, and will burn out again, usually sooner than later. And Mike is right on the money about drawing too much current, some bulbs draw a lot more, and combine that with oxidation on the contacts of the socket and you can get undesired heating, melted insulation, burned up contacts. I would start with a set of new bulbs, and not those blue burn-their-eyeballs-out kind. The seats and other things not part of the light circuit will still be waiting on you and the next six-pack.

Quick Reply: 2000 Discovery II Electrical problems! HELP! Headlights!! BCU?