General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Range Rover Decleration noise above 30mph?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 11:57 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Range Rover Decleration noise above 30mph?

Hi guys,

Over the past couple weeks my 2000 Range Rover 4.6HSE has developed a noise upon deceleration. What's interesting is that the noise is not present below 30mph, only above 30. It's a sound similar to a metal on metal but not quite as violent. It's quite audible, especially when decelerating next to a curb or median. I've done a little diagnosing myself, and found that the noise does not go away when the transmission is shifted into neutral or any of the first three gears so I don't believe it's an issue with the transmission. Another characteristic is that upon deceleration when the noise is audible, the vehicle also feels like somethings holding it back and not allowing it to coast smoothly to a stop until the vehicle hits 30mh or roughly 1300rpm's when the noise stops and the vehicle coasts fine. I had a Land Rover tech ride with me and he claimed right away that it was the pinion bearing in the front differential but that seems hard for me to believe. It appears that the front differential was replaced by a previous owner as it has markings of a salvage yard, but would it even be possible for a differential to create these odd characteristics? Obviously it's an issue with part of the drivetrain and it's difficult to tell where the noise is coming from underneath the vehicle, but it sounds like its more towards the front then the center. I'm leaning towards an issue with the transfer case or front differential. Possibly slack/stretching of the transfer case chain? Maybe a flexplate or torque converter issue? Keep in mind I also work at an Independent Land Rover Service facility and have never heard this sound in the hundreds of Range Rovers and Discovery's I have driven which is quite surprising to me. I think my next step would be to hook up the ChassisEars to the car and see if I can pinpoint where it's coming from. I'm just trying to get some other opinions hear so I could point one of my mechanics in a possible direction to resolve the issue. Thanks in advance for any input/advice! -Matt

Old 07-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: 2000 Range Rover Decleration noise above 30mph?

A good test to verify if it is the front diff would be to remove the front drive shaft, lock your selector into high lock and go drive the truck. If the noise goes away, BINGO, if not you can at least disscount the front diff as a problem.
Mike