General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Disco misfires then dies

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 03:49 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I finally got it back together with new Sensor. The wiring plug is a nightmare. It will not starts now. In write up it says something about resetting it with testbook. What is test book where do I get one and how do I reset with it.

Thanks

Last edited by NutnBut02s; 11-27-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No, you do not need to reset it with Testbook.
Testbook is a dealer only computer.
Reset the inertia switch on the firewall, black rubber button.
If that does not work close the hood and all the doors, put the key in the drivers door, lock and unlock the truck 3 times, that resets the alarm.
Then try and start it.
I hate the DII, something so simple is always made twice as hard.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:16 PM
4wd Low

Pushed button nothing and did door 3 times still no start M and S light start to flash after not starting right away. Sounds same as before after it died when it was warm.
Like no spark

Any thoughts??

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

With respect to fitting new sensor, is spacer correct?

From RAVE:

The above readings are dependent upon correct air gap between the tip of the CKP sensor and the passing teeth of
the reluctor ring. The correct air gap between the tip of the CKP sensor and the passing teeth of the reluctor ring can
be set by the correct fitting of a spacer as follows:
l
9.2 mm spacer for vehicles with manual gearbox fitted.

l
18 mm spacer for vehicles with automatic gearbox fitted.
It is vital that the correct air gap is maintained, if the air gap becomes too wide the CKP signal becomes too weak,
causing possible engine misfires to occur.
The CKP sensor can fail the following ways or supply incorrect signal:

l
Sensor assembly loose.

l
Incorrect spacer fitted.

l
Sensor open circuit.

l
Sensor short circuit.

l
Incorrect fitting and integrity of the sensor.

l
Water ingress at sensor connector

l
ECM unable to detect the software reference point.

l Ferrous contamination of crank sensor pin/reluc

Old 11-27-2011, 07:11 PM
4wd Low

I used same spacers that came out when I took out bad sensor. Can the wires be plugged in wrong or does it only fit one way?

Thanks

Last edited by NutnBut02s; 11-27-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:14 PM
4wd Low

I reused the original spacers. Could the wires be plugged in wrong or do they only fit one way?

Thanks

Old 11-27-2011, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Attached is photo and plug info.

Here is text from post by ruffram, who had similar "no crank" after working with sensor:

Ok I feel like an absolute moron but in a good way. I was reading last night on Discoweb and saw numerous people who lost spark and fuel at the same time just like me and it was CkPS. But I replaced mine so that couldn't be it. Just out of frustration I re-read the how-to on installing it and I noticed the spacers go on the BACK SIDE of the sensor and fill the gap between the sensor and the nuts. I installed the spacers between the block and sensor and the nuts on the back side of the sensor. I took the motor apart so long ago I must not have noticed how it was put together. When I put the old one on I didn't check anything it just seemed logical to put spacers between the block, I assumed the spacers keep the tip of the sensor from getting sheared off by the flywheel. WHen I replaced it I didn't think about it either, the spacers stayed where they were adn the sensor slipped on and the nuts onthe back side. SO I got up early this morning, put it the way it should be and I fired it right up. Couldn't believe it. I broke the cam in by revving it from 2000 to 2500 rpm for 25 minutes. Motor sounds good, has good oil pressure etc. I can't thank all you guys for the help. It feels soooooo good to finally hear this thing fire. Moral of the story I guess is when you see footprints look for horses not zebras. And I made the mistake of not double checking my own work. Buzz suggested that, but frustration kept me from thinking of obvious things first. I am out to put the rear interior back together, dash back together, front driveshaft etc. Two months since we bought it and I am FINALLY gonna be able to drive it. Can't tell you how good it feels. Thanks again guys

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 crank connector.pdf (445.8 KB, 96 views)
Old 11-27-2011, 08:44 PM
4wd Low

My Disco is running agian and my wife thanks everyone for walking me thru this.

I did put spacers on the inside also this is wrong. So any of you who read this make sure to put spacers on outside touching the nuts.

It fired right up after switching them to the right spot. Now I will let you know if it keeps running after warming up but I feel we are in good shape now. Thanks!!!!!!!!

Old 11-27-2011, 10:15 PM
4wd Low

Took her for 30 mile test drive and so far all is well. Now lets see if the wife can get through tomorrow without any trouble.

Thanks again

Duke

Old 11-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

SWMBO rides again! With all the folding money saved by not having to visit the dealership, look at investing in an Ultra Gauge ($80) to monitor (with user defined alarm points) all sorts of things, like coolant temperature.

Quick Reply: 2003 Disco misfires then dies