General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2008 Land Rover HSE troubles

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 11:22 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Land Rover HSE troubles

Casually driving in stop/go traffic and engine dies, won't start back, however everything seems to work on the vehicle except for no response from trying to start the vehicle, as well as the dash lights being out, every other bit of electronics work. As you stick the key-fob into the module it will pull in the fob, however it will not eject the fob. I've check fuses and found 1 damaged, replaced the fuse and still get the same results. Any suggestion would be great.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:14 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

If its a 2008 and you have to insert the fob, then I assume you drive an LR2? That kind of information is very helpful.
I have seen faulty instrument clusters cause a "no start" condition, however I have not seen one make it die.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:06 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by LR Techniker
If its a 2008 and you have to insert the fob, then I assume you drive an LR2? That kind of information is very helpful.
I have seen faulty instrument clusters cause a "no start" condition, however I have not seen one make it die.
Apologies, yes, it is a LR2. I honestly don't know what to make of it, I've done everything that I know to do. Check all fuses and finally found 1 bad one under the hood fuse box on driver side, a single blue (15) was pretty bad burnt out and I replaced it, hooked the battery back up as it had to be put on charge because lights had been left on and it died, still same issue, everything works except for dash/instrument lights and it when you press the start button you get nothing.

Battery Voltages read out good, I can't find a single other issue, replaced the starter last year, checked as many grounds on the vehicle as I could find. Is there any other single small fuses located in the vehicle outside of the fuse box? what fuse powers the dash lights? I can't find the Rave manual download for this model of Land Rover.

Last edited by ret0102; 06-26-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:12 PM
5th Gear

A bit of an update. I recharged the vehicles battery one last night, inserted and hooked it up, after doing so, I went around and locked all the doors manually and came back around to the drivers door and pressed the lock button on the fob, took out the key from the fob and manually unlocked it and it set off the alarm to the vehicle, I reinserted my key back into the fob and put it into the module for the fob (it sucked it in) and on my dash I seen the first light I'd seen in over a few weeks light up, I believe it was an indication for the security feature, lower left corner a red light blinking. I don't know if this will help, but hopefully it'll be enough of an indication as to what my problem may be.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:53 PM
5th Gear

Still in need of help, I'm lost on this one. Feel free to "ring" in on this one, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated guys.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:25 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ret0102
A bit of an update. I recharged the vehicles battery one last night, inserted and hooked it up, after doing so, I went around and locked all the doors manually and came back around to the drivers door and pressed the lock button on the fob, took out the key from the fob and manually unlocked it and it set off the alarm to the vehicle, I reinserted my key back into the fob and put it into the module for the fob (it sucked it in) and on my dash I seen the first light I'd seen in over a few weeks light up, I believe it was an indication for the security feature, lower left corner a red light blinking. I don't know if this will help, but hopefully it'll be enough of an indication as to what my problem may be.

My current situation.

after messing with a few other things, I sat down in the drivers seat and hit start and no luck. I went to pull the vehicle into gear and noticed that the small switch located at the front shift **** was already depressed, something possibly broken? not sure, regardless it's got me thinking something possibly wrong with either the tension/inhibitor switch or something of that sort possibly that's not allowing it to start.