General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2013 LR4 - Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 01:10 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 LR4 - Fuel Pump

Hi Forum,
I have a rather peculiar issue to share ... and aren't all LR issues of that nature. 10 days ago I thought I did the right thing to take my LR4 for its 75k service in order to prevent costly future repairs. I took it to an indy shop that had worked on my other Disco II. Even though I had not quite seen newer more electrically complex models in the shop, I trusted the fellow with my truck given my past experiences. A couple of days later and $1,100 poorer, I picked up the car all serviced and I was assured that besides the rear viper, the car is in a great condition. Yesterday as I was driving the car all of a sudden it started to lose power and a "special programs not available" message appeared on the display. I tried turning it off and locking and unlocking it in the hope that the error would disappear. Long story short, those efforts did not work and every time the car would struggle to start and after starting it would lose power after a minute of driving. I ended up towing the car back to the shop and the owner acted all surprised, He said that the only error message he had seen was the low fuel pressure but when he had checked it, it was all good. In any case, today I received a call from the owner claiming that both fuel pumps need to be replaced at a price of $2k plus taxes. When I asked if it's normal for the pump to fail at 75k his response was that he doesn't know. The following are my issues with the situation and would appreciate any feedback from those who have knowledge of this matter:

1. If I was told at the check up that this work needs to be done, I would have opted to take care of that instead of paying them $1,100 to lubricate the car.
2. The car was just fine when I drove it to the shop for service. Even though this all could be a coincidence, I don't like the fact that the owner does not acknowledge that he just had the car. Since I've owned the car for the last, year, he has been the only person who's touched it.
3. The unsure tone he had makes me wonder if the fix will be permanent (and I've read other horror stories). Also I am questioning why he is not starting with cheaper fixes like the sensors before getting to the pumps. It feels like he's just guessing and he's found a customer that is not objecting to the decision.

Real bummed as I was not planning to spend $3k in 10 days on car maintenance. Even more bummed that I'm not sure if his suggestion would even work or if he is planning to disassociate himself form future issues. Tempted to tow it to the dealership in Pasadena (the car is in LA), but I've never used their services and am not sure what to expect.

Sorry for the lengthy story. Appreciate any feedback!

Tommy

Last edited by Tommy Zandi; 02-19-2021 at 01:14 AM.