General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need some honest opinions about my disco...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 08:46 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some honest opinions about my disco...

Ok, so I bought an 04 disco new in 04 and drove it until 2012 with no mechanical issues whatsoever. I started getting the three amigos and had a coolant leak in 2012, and I had just taken a new job with a big pay increase, so I gave the disco to dad and bought a LR4. After paying a large monthly payment to drive 3 miles a day in the LR4, I decided to sell it and get my Disco back. I had new head gaskets, new water pump, and new rear hubs installed. Dad had coils installed to replace air suspension. The car died on dad bringing it to me, and we found out it was because of a bad crank shaft sensor...had that replaced and it all was good. I get the car back and have been driving it for about a month now. Three amigos from time to time. Got new U-joints. I have a code reading some error with the fuel purge system?? Was told this was no biggie. So today, I get in to go to work, and the engine turns over but will not fire. Working great yesterday, sits in garage overnight, and won't fire and start today.

First question...what could be going on? Will a fuel pump just die when sitting in the garage? Could it be due to this fuel purge system issue?

Second Question...is this what my future is going to look like if I continue to try to have this vehicle as my daily driver? It seems like, from reading these forums, that LRs get to a point where the sensors are constantly going bad or the sensors are reading out of cal issues that really are not any big f'n deal, yet it causes all kinds of issues with the way the car runs or even keeps it from running altogether. I don't mind putting money in the vehicle, but I can not have a car that is going to leave me stranded every month due to a gazillion electrical sensors that are constantly going bad. Is there anybody out there in a disco that has figured out a way to make it a reliable car for daily driving. I'm considering getting it running, cutting my losses and buying a hummer or some other American made car with a fairly straight forward engine and electrical system. My Disco had been driven easy and well taken care of by me for it's entire life, and I would love to think that I can get it to where it will be a reliable car, but I'm just not sure that it's possible after reading all the issues that everyone on here face. What do y'all think?

Old 06-17-2015, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

I think you queered the deal when you took the gift away from your dad, this close to Father's Day

you should check the fuel pressure on the rail .......there's a little Schrader valve . and as far as sensors going out .... Same as parts wearing out, it happens they get old . About spares when I see them on sale . I Replace them when it's convenient and keep the original for a back up .
You already took care of one of the hardest to get to you

Old 06-17-2015, 09:14 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the first question you need to know why it didnt start, no spark or no fuel.
Fuel pump can die at anytime, i had one die while driving down the road.

I also have one now that has a bad section of harness going to the pump, and it wont start or it will run out of gas going down the road. went I you get under there and pull and shake the harness, then the pump will fire back up, might last a month or just hours before it cuts out again.

as far as reliable, you have a truck the 11-years old. so any ware item will need to be replaced at this age. Hoses, belts, suspension parts, accessory and there drives.

BUT there is no big payment to make every month, so if you have to throw a few hundred here and a few there, it still better than pay 4-$600 every month.

Last edited by drowssap; 06-17-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:14 AM
Drifting

I have no problem putting money into it each month if that is what it takes, but having it randomly just up and quit leaving me stranded is not cool. I should have dealt with the purge valve issue when I first got the error code. The car started right up when I got home, and I'm taking it to my guy here to give the fuel pump and purge valve a once-over and fix what's ailing it. I know it's an 11 yo car, but it seems like the over-the-top electrical sensor monitoring on the LRs cause a lot more problems than say an 11 yo Chevy Tahoe causes. But then again, I really don't want a Chevy Tahoe...maybe a Hummer H2! Anyhoo, going to fix this issue and play it by ear. Thanks for the replies.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I'd say keep going. You've already done the hardest most expensive thing. Keep in mind,it never was or will be a Honda. It's not a point and shoot kinda vehicle. However it's way more unique than most things on the road. I'd much rather have your truck than some boring sedan.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:14 PM
Drifting

Well, It cranked up when I got home. Drove it up to my mechanic who said he could not make it repeat the problem...cranked right up every time. He checked the purge valve and it was operating correctly. So, I go to get it and it won't crank. He tries the gas cap then tells me to turn it on/off a couple of times...fuel pump not working. They call me and tell me that correct fuel pump for the vehicle will be 1100 ish. I ask if they are sure it's bad, and he said that they tested it and it was shot. So, the new fuel pump will have lifetime warranty...So, at least I got that going for me...and complete consciousness when I die, of course! So far, the cost of getting this vehicle into shape is outrunning the ridiculous monthly payments on the LR4. Need a few months of trouble-free driving to turn those figures around before I pull out my freaking hair.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

1100 for a fuel pump is ridiculous.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:30 AM
Drifting

Kind of what I'm thinking. I'm going to figure out exactly what fuel pump they priced out.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:06 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

airtek makes a replacement for a couple hundred bucks may be less now, at any autoparts store.
he has got to be quoting a dealer part, ask him how much the labor is to pick up the rear carpet and install the pump? he doesnt even have to drain the tank

Old 06-18-2015, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
he has got to be quoting a dealer part, ask him how much the labor is to pick up the rear carpet and install the pump? he doesnt even have to drain the tank

I was thinking the same thing

Quick Reply: Need some honest opinions about my disco...