General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

3 amigos

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 amigos

Hi all I hooked up an OBD and got fault codes of 01 and 1452.........I'm putting a new front driveshaft in tomorrow could vibration be causing this? Thanks

Old 08-25-2013, 05:49 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi, I'm no expert on this but I would say vibration is highly unlikely to cause this fault. The 3 Amigos is very often the result of an electrical or an ECU fault/glitch. There are various causes of these lights coming on and it usually a tedious process of elimination. One easy thing to check out is the 12v supply to the starter motor solenoid as this gives problems due to dirt and water. Disconnect the spade connector and clean the terminal and spade ensuring a tight grip of the spade on the terminal and clean with electrical contact cleaner and refit the spade onto the terminal using some petroleum jelly (Vaseline) and then at least one possible source is eliminated. The other source I know of that also throws up the 3 Amigos and/or the M&S lights is the autobox selector switch (also known as the xyz selector switch) which I have written and earlier fix for. This is a more prolonged and tedious job requiring some care when disassembling the switch. The selector switch is located on the driver side (LHD) of the autobox alongside the exhaust pipe. Good luck. Google the 3 Amigos for a Disco and you will get many potential sources of the electrical and electronic possibilities. If you can lay your hands on a Nanocom or Hawkeye diagnostic tool it would help to zone in on the potential causes. It's also worth browsing the RAVE workshop manual for potential solutions.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3amigos

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Hi, I'm no expert on this but I would say vibration is highly unlikely to cause this fault. The 3 Amigos is very often the result of an electrical or an ECU fault/glitch. There are various causes of these lights coming on and it usually a tedious process of elimination. One easy thing to check out is the 12v supply to the starter motor solenoid as this gives problems due to dirt and water. Disconnect the spade connector and clean the terminal and spade ensuring a tight grip of the spade on the terminal and clean with electrical contact cleaner and refit the spade onto the terminal using some petroleum jelly (Vaseline) and then at least one possible source is eliminated. The other source I know of that also throws up the 3 Amigos and/or the M&S lights is the autobox selector switch (also known as the xyz selector switch) which I have written and earlier fix for. This is a more prolonged and tedious job requiring some care when disassembling the switch. The selector switch is located on the driver side (LHD) of the autobox alongside the exhaust pipe. Good luck. Google the 3 Amigos for a Disco and you will get many potential sources of the electrical and electronic possibilities. If you can lay your hands on a Nanocom or Hawkeye diagnostic tool it would help to zone in on the potential causes. It's also worth browsing the RAVE workshop manual for potential solutions.
Gooday thanks for all the info!!i finally got to a scanner that does ABS codes! I wasn't aware that mine didn't do them... I'm an old school series mechanic I've got a bad shuttlevalve code! Question is now do I go ahead and replace the seals or just go with the switch?thanks again

Old 08-28-2013, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Celto 4
Gooday thanks for all the info!!i finally got to a scanner that does ABS codes! I wasn't aware that mine didn't do them... I'm an old school series mechanic I've got a bad shuttlevalve code! Question is now do I go ahead and replace the seals or just go with the switch?thanks again
Hi Celto4,

I had problems with the ABS shuttle valves after disconnecting the plugs to the ABS and the battery. Try clearing the codes first which I believe from memory were P1304 and then use the truck for a run and see whether the codes return. If they do I have downloaded an insitu replacement for the shuttle valves (bit of a fiddly job) on the WABCO valve block which obviates the need to drain the braking system. Look on Ebay in the meantime and there are often genuine new shuttle valve blocks for sale at reasonable prices. I will post the 'fix' for you later today.

All the best.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:04 AM

Hi

This is a mod that can be done if all else fails.

ABS Mod - LAND ROVER CLUB V.I.

Wabco*Modulator*Anti Lock Brakes*Shuttle Valve*Help*Confused* - Land Rover Zone

LANDROVER DISCOVERY 2 ABS REPAIR Uplands - SA4

Sorry, I can't find the insitu replacement link but I'll carry on looking and post it when I find it. I hope these are of some help.

All the best.