General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

7 Hours New to Us!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 7 Hours New to Us!!!!!!!!!!

We are the proud new parents of a 2004 Disco II!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It took my wife and me about 5.5 hours of spit polishing it to get almost to the point of comfortably clean - excluding the leather and suede interior. That's for next week once we get the Connolly Cleaner and "Hide Food." I was going to take it off-roading tomorrow... But not after that much cleaning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We'll let it get some general neighborhood dirt first - the slow buildup of dirt - before we get serious.

But, obviously, we have several questions:
1. The front driver's seat was working fine for the trip home. Then, after I moved it all the way to the rear, it stop working, It felt almost like it went too far back an disconnected. The passenger's seat works fine. I checked the fuses (#7) and that was fine. No noises. Any idea what I should check next (we downloaded most of the manuals and am digging through them now).
2. The drivers mirror is busted - not the glass; just the "swivel." So it will free-float back and forth. It still responds to the dial movements from the driver's door. Is this fixable or does it require a complete new/used mirror assembly.

Thanks

Last edited by Just For Fun; 08-10-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Mirror - order from a dismantler like Paul Grant

Heat gauge - it tells you everything is OK at 50%, but in reality can be from 130-240F - get something to connect to OBDII port and read the real temps. A 180F stat is a good upgrade, get the real Rover one, not motorad.

Front propshaft - if not upgraded from oem, the double end can split without warning and smash hole in tranny.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Mirror - order from a dismantler like Paul Grant

Heat gauge - it tells you everything is OK at 50%, but in reality can be from 130-240F - get something to connect to OBDII port and read the real temps. A 180F stat is a good upgrade, get the real Rover one, not motorad.

Front propshaft - if not upgraded from oem, the double end can split without warning and smash hole in tranny.
Thanks for the info.

Being new here , how do I find Paul Grant?

Also, do you know anything about the possible problem/solution for the driver's seat malfunctioning.

I have already downloaded several manuals for: https://landroverforums.com/forum/gen...ing-lr3-57978/ The one I really wont is the Shop Manual. But all I have been able to find is the 1999. I need the 2004. I've searched under headings like Discovery II and 2004 Discovery. But not in ether. Any ideas where it would be and or the actual manual number?

Thanks

Old 08-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Paul is in my signature section, he is a good one to work with.
How many miles on the truck? You might want to read my major service list posted at the top of the D2 section and plan on doing it all, especially the front drive shaft.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Paul is in my signature section, he is a good one to work with.
How many miles on the truck? You might want to read my major service list posted at the top of the D2 section and plan on doing it all, especially the front drive shaft.
Its got about 75k on it. The Front Drive Shaft - it that same thing as the front prop shaft from BPU?

At what mileage should it be changed?

I'll check out your "major service list."

Old 08-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Three Wheeling

Quick update on the driver's seat problem: Corrected with a new fuse and the detection and correction of a frayed wire.