General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

93 rr lwb

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 07:10 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 rr lwb

hi, getting back to my rover not running good. i have checked all the normal things plugs wires the fuel filter ect. all seem ok. i have knotised that the two cats have been dammaged. what would cause this? it runs ok when i first start up cold. after a few mins it then starts its spluttering. if i can get it moving asnd on the highway. it seems to clear untill i slow down for a light or somthing. then it back fires and misses again. any help will be apprecated. thanks. brian.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:50 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: 93 rr lwb

How amny miles on the truck
What do you mean he cats seem damaged
What gas are you running
When was it last tuned
What did you do to check the fuel filter, plugs and wires to say they seem OK
When was it last tuned?????????????????????????????
Mike

Old 06-14-2007, 09:11 AM
4wd Low

i only just got it a little over a month ago. i live in killeen, tx. i flew up to miniapolis and drove it back home. i know of nothing about it before i got it. it drove all the way home 1200 miles. it drove great. however i tryed using the wipers on the way home to wipe off a big bug. and they never worked. when i got home i found that the shafts had seased up solid. i stripped them down and cleaned them up and replaced the wiper motor. and now they work great. this rover also had brand new tires on it. im thinking that this rover had been standing for a long time before i get it. somone told me that if it had been standing then the gas could have turned into like a varnish and woulf foul the injectors. i can understand it cloging them. but then why is it ok for those few mins when cold. and if i get it rolling it will clear and accelerate really fast. just to splutter if i slow? my freind owns a minakie shop and he told me that the cats had blown. they rattle like mad. i have only put in reguler unleaded. i cant find anywhere who have the test gear to check it out. austin land rover say the cant check it. if they cant then who can?

Old 06-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would not have been able to drive it 1200 miles if the fuel injection rails/injectors were gummed up with varnish-- so throw that advice out. On the CATS --- you lay under the vehicle with a rubber mallet in your hand, and strike the CAT convertors with a "tapping" action (both sides of the Y-pipe as you have two Convertors). If you hear rattling, then the Brick is breaking up inside, and you are starting to "pack-up" the Convertors. The symptoms of packed Cats are a vehicle thatmay idle okay, but will not accelerate normally, and will "run out of breath" at a relatively low speed (like 30-40 mph). If you continue to drive it this way, the heat that is backing up in theexhaust system will cause major damage to the engine.Or-- you may merely have the problem with the seizedadvance mechanism and/or failingignition amplifier on the Distributor--- both of which are common on the Range Rover Classic. To check for a seized advance plate, remove the distributor cap, grab the rotor with thumb and forefinger and try to rotate it. When you let go -- it should spring back. If this is not happening on your vehicle , then the distributor has to be re-built. The inability of the engine to advance spark (or hang up in a constant state of advancement) will cause sputtering, back-firing, and general poor performance.

Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com

Old 06-14-2007, 07:56 PM
4wd Low

thank you geoman. i didnt mean to be rude. but i never got an answer to my questions. this rover has 155,000 miles on it i dont expect a lot from it but it ran great on my way back to texas. i will check out the dizzy tomorrow when i get back from work. i know the cats are out as they rattle really bad and they get really hot. and start smoking. i know the basicks. and i grew up near solihull in england. so i know a little about these rovers. but im an electrician involved in the oil industry here in the usa. i know its not a lot wrong with it. its just maddening. thanks for your help. brian