General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 RR diff lock???? please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006 | 01:53 PM
|
Drifting
Default 95 RR diff lock???? please help

Hi, I am new to the forum and have just recently purchased a 95 RR LWB classic with the 4.2. When I take sharp turns it seems like the front wheels try to lock up. Like have a diff locker installed. I am sure there isn't one because I bought the RR off of a soccer mom and she was the original owner. When going around wider turns left or right it feels jerky, but when traveling straight everything is smooth.

My thinking is that the transfer case is locked. I don’t have the manual so shooting blind here.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-13-2006 | 02:30 PM
Administrator
Default RE: 95 RR diff lock???? please help

Yes, your center diff lock is locked. I can't remembver how the shifter is set up on that model. Does your t/case shifter have an H pattern, showing high and low to the right side and high lock and low lock to the left/ If so, put your tranny into neutral and shift the t/case from the left side, which would be the locked side to the right side high position, then put the tranny back into drive.
Try that.
Mike

Old 11-13-2006 | 03:10 PM
|
Drifting

No H pattern. It goes to High and Low only. I shifted it to low and back to high but that had no effect.

Thanks for your response.

Old 11-13-2006 | 03:36 PM
Rock Crawling

The Range Rover Classic uses a "viscous unit" in the transfer case. When this component is failing, it exhibits the trait you mention. That is ---when turning through tighter corners, you will feel a shudder and jerkiness throughout the vehicle. To continue operating the vehicle in this condition is not recommended as it puts a lot of strain on the front and rear differentials and drivelines. The u-joints will have a shortened life, as will the tires and crown wheel/pinion units.

You can try draining the transfer case fluid, and re-filling ---in the hope that the viscous unit "frees-up" and starts to work again. But it is a 50/50 shot.

Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com

Old 11-13-2006 | 03:48 PM
|
Drifting

Thanks Geoman, you described the problem perfectly. What fluid would recommend I put in the T- case?

If that dosen't work, am I looking at getting a whole new T-case?

Old 11-13-2006 | 04:17 PM
Rock Crawling

The transfer case fluid is ATF Dexron IID . As far as replacing the entire transfer case, they are a bit more difficult to find used these days. You may want to try Roverland Parts in Florida, or Specialized British in Rancho Cordova, California. To open the case and replace the viscous unit is possible with the case in the vehicle. You have to remove the front driveshaft, and front cover.

Let me know if you need parts, and I'll help get you set-up

regards,
Geoman
Northern California

Old 11-13-2006 | 04:22 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: geoman

The Range Rover Classic uses a "viscous unit" in the transfer case. When this component is failing, it exhibits the trait you mention. That is ---when turning through tighter corners, you will feel a shudder and jerkiness throughout the vehicle. To continue operating the vehicle in this condition is not recommended as it puts a lot of strain on the front and rear differentials and drivelines. The u-joints will have a shortened life, as will the tires and crown wheel/pinion units.

You can try draining the transfer case fluid, and re-filling ---in the hope that the viscous unit "frees-up" and starts to work again. But it is a 50/50 shot.

Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com
Boy, did I miss that one, sorry for the misleading info, I completely forgot about the t/case.
Now that it has come back to me, I agree full heartedly with Geoman. If you decide to drain the t/case, which is worth a shot, add one bottle of Lucas tarnny additive to the ATF to try and free up the works.
Mike

Old 11-13-2006 | 04:25 PM
|
Drifting

Great thanks. I will try to change the oil first. But I have a feeling I will be calling you, I saw that your shop is located in Martinez and I am in Walnut Creek so that is easy.

Old 11-13-2006 | 04:55 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: A Team

Great thanks. I will try to change the oil first. But I have a feeling I will be calling you, I saw that your shop is located in Martinez and I am in Walnut Creek so that is easy.
Don't forget the Lucas, it could make the diference between a short reprieve and not needing to dump a fist full of money into a used t/case.
Mike

Old 11-13-2006 | 05:07 PM
|
Drifting

Right, I take it the lucas tranny oil is available at most auto parts stores.

Quick Reply: 95 RR diff lock???? please help