General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 disco dies out when it rains!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 02:12 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 disco dies out when it rains!

Hello fellow landrovers. I've owned a 96 discovery for a little over a year now. I live in illinois but the disco came up from florida not even a year before I bought it. I had to have about $1500 worth of work to get it in order, but it drove good. As soon as the snow came around it started acting up. It seemed like battery issues, so I got a new one. That helped a little. Seemed like ithad more power to crank it. But even then it would take about 10-15 minutes to even warm up then have a weak idle, sometimes dying out at stop lights! I know it sounds strange, but it happened more in wet slushy snow. I thoght maybe water or ice was getting into the fuel somehow so i would use heet everytime i filled up (93 octane). So i struggled with it during the cold months often cursing it. Then as soon as the snowwent away and it warmed up, one day I started it and it just sounded different. The idle was smooth and it actually felt stronger. It lasted like that the entire summer. Now its getting colderand we had a whole weekof rain recently thanks to ol'Ike, and it started doing the same exact thing as before! To make matters worse I put it up for sale about a week before the problems started. Now I have people calling to see it and I have to turn them away until I get it figured out. If I was rich I would just buy a new one. But unfortunately wifey was already upset about putting 1500 into my "fun truck". If this has happened to you or you might have any ideas, they would be most welcome. Thanks for reading

Old 06-01-2010, 07:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever get a fix to this? because I have the exact same problem. Only it will just run terrible because the idle is off, and if I shut it down for a while it is fine. It's definitely a crank shaft sensor problem however idont know how it's effecting it?