General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 Disco...went dead while driving 1wk.aftr.New Alt.jst got new battery..

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 11:46 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 96 Disco...went dead while driving 1wk.aftr.New Alt.jst got new battery..

I see this question was asked before.my new neighbor(i relocated for 3 months for work) he has a 1997 and has done all the work himself,He thinks it may be the new alternator,which i just had put in alongside an old battery(my mechanic said battery was fine) went
Last nite the vehicle wouldntbturn over,the mall security gave me a jump and it started acting like when the alternater went bad..shaking,dimming of lights.

Today i got the new battery,but didnt have alternater checked at adv auto.because i brought my battery in by hand...so,i put battery in vehicle and within 3 min,it stopped working..dead steering,pedals everything..battery lite flasing,i managed to roll into a parking lot and LR RESTARTED right away.After 5 min of engine on,idle I started to drive..drove 3 min,shut off again,batery lite on..

Managed to drive home 1 1/2 miles.I put more gas,because maybee my gas qas low??now i have to go to work at 530p.m.im in a strange town,and im scared because i have no idea what ill do if the car stops again.my neighbor with the same vehicle,his is 97 says he will clean out with some spray from autozone that large tube in the front that connects to filter?? But i have no clue,what it can be...bad alternater? But the car wouldnt stop from a bad alternator..the car is starting....

Old 10-21-2011, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Hope you have jumper cables.

If you can make it to an auto parts store let them check battery and alternator. Could be lots of corrosion on battery terminals and/or the two big wires in front part of under hood fuse box. Could be corrosion on the 100 amp fuse link, which carrys alternator volts to battery and everything else. Could be loose/corroded ground lug on frame, follow negative battery wire down below radiator.

I'm guessing you don't have a meter with you, but if you did, battery volts when running should be 13.8 - 14.2.

I believe you have an electrical problem, not a fuel problem.

If tach is not working, would be a bad sign about alternator.

Could be belt route, go to the tech stick area for the D1s to see one.

A fully charged battery with a dead alternator should be able to crank a truck and run for like 30 minutes or more. That's the "reserve minutes" specfication. But bad connections along the way make even a good battery do bad things.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 10-21-2011 at 05:28 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i bought my old '96 it had a charging problem. i put a new alternator on and a new battery, which didn't work. checked the belt routing and it was wrong. i'd start there, easy to check.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:39 AM
TReK
Received 438 Likes on 364 Posts

People who are 'born and bred in Brooklyn should have no fear of Tallahassee. Carry a cellular phone.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
People who are 'born and bred in Brooklyn should have no fear of Tallahassee. Carry a cellular phone.
I think he's posting via cell phone.

Brand new batteries are not fully charged, they are charged at the factory but they go dead sitting on the shelf for months.
You need more than a jump start, you need a full charge on the battery, that means using a battery charger to charge the battery overnight.
While it is charging look at the belt routing.

Discover Defender Maintenance Tips, Accessories, Parts & More at Roverparts.com

If that is correct then you need a new alternator most likely.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:33 PM
Overlanding
Default thanks

Thank you all for the helpI will relay these comments to my neighbor so he can show me the ropes..
the truck is fine now,I figured it needed a charge..so I drove it and no Probkems since,I kinda regret getting a new alt.and not a rebuilt one from. 30 yr exp rebuilder.
i hear sometimes u can have 7 -8 alternators all bad..till u get a good one.nn
Should I still charge the Battery??I HAVENT DONE EXCEPT FOR DRIVING IT
Previous to my new Battery and new alternator,I deove from Tampa to Gainesville, a 2 1/2 hr. Drive in 5 hrs on an alternator gone bad..20 min into my trip home..I shut the lite when therebwere no cars behind me and even shut winshieldbwipers..in a super crazy stirm AT NITE!!!so a battery can run for looong with a bad alt..or my praying deeply while driving helped
Anyway..yes im on a cel phone..and NO,IM NOT A GUY...
NAMASTE AND THANKS AGAIN!! ILL UPDATE!!

Old 10-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It would not hurt to charge the battery with a battery charger, but it sounds like you are fine.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Kyra,

If you have driven for a while (like an hour) the battery will charge up some with a good alternator. The longer you drive the more it charges up. It is even better to charge it up with a battery charger at home over night, or have store put a quick charge on it. If the alternator is weak (only puts out some amps, but not full amps) it won't charge battery with lots of other things switched on (like headlights, AC, wipers). If alternator is dead, of course it won't charge the battery at all. A new battery from any store will have some charge on it, depending on how long it has been in stock. And the auto parts store can put a "fast charge" or "quick charge" on a battery to boost it up before installing it.

If you bought a new alternator from a parts store save the receipt in case it dies during warranty. But I thought you said you bought a new battery?

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 10-22-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Overlanding

Thanks..It all makes sense..ill check everything you said..and YES i got a new alternator first,then a battery just the other day...

Old 10-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

If alternator was replaced by someone other than Land Rover dealer - be sure to check belt route from link a few back in Spike's post.

Quick Reply: 96 Disco...went dead while driving 1wk.aftr.New Alt.jst got new battery..