General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 Disco 1wheel swivel leak??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018 | 01:21 PM
|
4th Gear
Angry 98 Disco 1wheel swivel leak??

I've recently lost the use of my brakes. no pressure when depressed. after looking I've noticed a build up of what I think is brake fluid under the swivel on the inside of the wheel hub. I'm assuming a bad seal, but I've also seen people say it has something to do with the diff. my question is what would be the best course of action to take on the matter? I have the workshop manual, but I can't seem to find anything showing how to disassemble the hub, and I'm fairly new to working on my disco.. any information helps. thanks in advance.

Old 01-28-2018 | 03:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Old 01-28-2018 | 03:16 PM
Pro Wrench

And part two for the reassembly

Old 01-28-2018 | 04:33 PM
|
4th Gear

Thank you! ill check these out.

Old 01-28-2018 | 04:46 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by xnomadx
I have the workshop manual, but I can't seem to find anything showing how to disassemble the hub, and I'm fairly new to working on my disco.. any information helps. thanks in advance.
Have you looked in the FRONT AXLE AND FINAL DRIVE section of manual for details that may be missing from videos?

Old 01-28-2018 | 05:22 PM
|
4th Gear

@number9 thank you i just looked and found the hub assembly. ill be doing the work next sunday so ill have a week to do all the research i can before then.

Old 01-28-2018 | 08:42 PM
Pro Wrench

i just looked and found the hub assembly
Swivel on the D1's looks like a ball of wax at first sight.

Just recently saw another post about them and it piqued my interest being a D2 owner. A bit different from the D2 architecture. Both have their +s & -s.

Have fun and good luck.

Old 01-29-2018 | 10:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The video would apply exactly to him. Defender and Discovery 1 axles are the same. Discovery 2, no

Just follow the video or any other defender write up, parts will be the same (except for early defenders who have a very slightly different stub axle, and hub washers etc etc.) and very cheap. Search for exploded diagram of the hub, get some good sealant or replacement seals etc, for these items.

However, I do not see how brake fluid can even build up inside the hub. You should be looking at your brakes. Unless there is an axle seal issue, hub seal issue, or drive member gasket/wheel bearing failure, I see no point in opening up the hub. If you do so just search videos on wheel bearing replacement and follow them too. You will want to replace or repack your bearings with grease since you're in the area.

Old 01-29-2018 | 10:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by xnomadx
I've noticed a build up of what I think is brake fluid under the swivel on the inside of the wheel hub. I'm assuming a bad seal, but I've also seen people say it has something to do with the diff. my question is what would be the best course of action to take on the matter?
If it looks oily on the inside of the brake disk right next to the swivel ball, it could be a bad hub seal. This also can explain some poorer braking performance (but usually not bad)

Are you sure it is brake fluid and not gear oil?

Old 02-03-2018 | 09:24 PM
|
4th Gear

Ive narrowed it down, Im thinking the brake master cylinder or the brake booster. I replaced the master cylinder today, but its wasnt a genuine part. it didnt have the plastic piece. the leak doesnt seem sufficient enough to cause the brakes to lose pressure and not work. ill be doing the work on the booster the cylinder and the hub so wish me luck lets see how this turns out.

Quick Reply: 98 Disco 1wheel swivel leak??