General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 Disco Doesnt want to Kick Over!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 11:25 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Disco Doesnt want to Kick Over!

Happy New Year Everyone!

Over the last couple days I have not been able to start up my Disco and today it got worse! Previously, My Disco, would just spin, like it was out of gas but it wouldnt ignite, it wouldnt kick over. Today, however that came to an abrupt halt! I gave the battery a jump and as soon as I tried the ignition, the crank started to spin then just unexpected stopped, really hard like! I was shocked because it stopped with so much force, as though something got caught in the system.

The Disco had been working fine but I had to replace the manifold and rocker cover gaskets because it was leaking all over the place. So while i was at it, i decided to take a look at the fuel injectors and fuel rail since I was getting such poor gas mileage. I proceeded to create a DIY 'injector cleaner', nothing fancy, just a rubber hose with a can of carburetor cleaner on one end and alligator clips on the other for power. The injectors cleaned just fine, except for one, which i exchanged for a refurbished injector. Anyway, I didnt have much gas in the tank because im planning on changing the fuel filter, but it had at least 3-4 gallons of gas. Anyway, i gave the car a tune up too and put everything back together.

This is the first time I have had problems at start up and the way the crank just stopped! i figured i must have dropped a screw in the manifold or something so I went to Pep Boys and purchased a OBDII reader but it was a cheapie and didnt give me any problem codes but it did give me the following: MIL Status; OFF, Misfire Monitor; OK, Fuel System Mon; OK, Comp. Component; OK, A/C Refrig Mon; N/A, Oxygen Sens Mon; OK, Oxygen Sens Htr; OK, EGR System; N/A, Catalyst Mon; OK, Htd Catalyst; N/A, EVAP System Mon; INC, Sec Air System; N/A. When the motor was spinning, it simply sounded like it was out of gas. But now it wont even spin.

Thats all the info I have. Does anyone have an idea what happened to my Disco? Thank you in advance.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:54 AM
TReK
Received 472 Likes on 389 Posts

perhaps one of the rocker cover gasket inserts ran off into the valve train. They are little metal donuts which the bolts pass through. Just a wild guess though.

The following users liked this post:
doogaloo (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 12:39 PM
Drifting

WaltNYC, ok i will check that out...but what do you think would have kept my Disco from kicking over?

Old 01-02-2018, 03:17 PM
TReK
Received 789 Likes on 655 Posts

If there's a solid obstruction in the valve train (e.g. WaltNYC's suggestion) then that would stop things cold.
A solid obstruction anywhere that's supposed to rotate would do the same. Since you just worked on the upper end, it's possible that something fell into a hole somewhere and has locked it up.

doogaloo (01-06-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 07:33 AM
TReK
Received 472 Likes on 389 Posts

How long between the rocker cover gasket and manifold gasket (valley pan gasket) replacement and the 'abrupt halt'?

Have you been able to get it to start since the work was done?

doogaloo (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 04:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mollusc
If there's a solid obstruction in the valve train (e.g. WaltNYC's suggestion) then that would stop things cold.
A solid obstruction anywhere that's supposed to rotate would do the same. Since you just worked on the upper end, it's possible that something fell into a hole somewhere and has locked it up.
So i got under the Disco to try and turn the crank. It didnt want to budge either way, i turned it clockwise then i turned it the other way and nothing. I dont think anything fell in because i was very careful. Then one of my mechanic friends (doesnt work on Land Rovers) told me it could be the ECU. I remember swapping out the ECU about 1 year ago cos the one I had was failing. I went to the junk yard and pulled one out from another Disco and never had problems. Does that sound like a possibility??

Old 01-06-2018, 04:31 PM
Drifting

A couple of days. As soon as I replaced the gaskets, I let it dry overnight and then tried to start it in the morning. I tried to start it for 2 days in a row then the abrupt halt.