General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 Disco won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Disco won't crank

Well, I went to get in the Mule today to run an errand and the old feller didn't want to crank. Spins over like nobody's business, but won't hit a lick at a snake. [:@]

It's been running a little rough lately and even stumbled and stammered yesterday. But at least it ran!! [:'(]I know it's been in need of a tune-up for a while now, so I'm hopingthis ends up being somethingsimple. Rover's got 128K ticks on the clock.

I poked my head under the hood and looked over some of the basic stuff (plug wires, wiring harness connections, etc) to see if anything obvious jumped out at me. I looked where the plug wires went to the back of the engine and there is no cap, rotor, coil, so I thought "I better go make a post on LF.com." [&:]

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Old 03-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: 98 Disco won't crank

You have individual coil pack ignition. no distributor. Pull a wire and see if you have spark. Be careful with it. You may need to change the plugs and wires. Just a start.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Overlanding

Just pull any wire off a plug? Does one do it the old school way and put a screwdriver in it, place it next to a metallic surface (body panel, frame etc), roll it over and watch for spark?

When you say "Be careful with it," are you referring to doing something wrong and screwing something up electrical or just generally being careful not to shock the crap outta myself? [&:]

Thanks.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just meant to be careful not to mess up the boot. With that many miles, they might pull right off when tring to take it off the plug. It happened to me when I got mine, and it had about 70K on the motor. I knew it needed wires, though. Yeah, I was just talking about the old screwdriver method. I don't think it will make any difference with the coil packs. I have done it on mine. Turns out I had a bad fuel pump.

Also be careul not to shock the crap out of yourself....

Good luck!

Old 03-30-2007, 01:48 AM
Overlanding

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy
Also be careul not to shock the crap out of yourself....
Good luck!
self defecation = teh SUCK. [:@]I'll watch myself. [&:]
It won't be my first rodeo sticking a screwdriver up in the tip of a plugwire. And if I DO shock my drawers full, it won't be the first time I've done that, either...